What to do this weekend: Weekender events for Dec. 6-8
Events for this column must be submitted to the Advocate by noon on Monday to be in the Thursday newspaper. Send events (must include complete information: hours, admission price, contact for info, etc.) to bit.ly/amevents. Events may also be emailed to email@example.com.
- Open mic with Shane White, 8-11 p.m. Friday at Tut’s Restaurant, 415 W. Main St., Danville. Saturday, Max Grooves (Upshaw Briggs, saxophonist) 8-11 p.m.
- Blue Groove Jazz, 7:30-10:30 p.m. Friday at The Still, 522 Techwood Drive, Danville.
- Hammered Dulcimers playing music of the season, 2 p.m. Dec. 11 at Boyle County Public Library (BCPL), Danville. A special performance by local musicians.
- “The Beautiful Music of Christmas,” 7:30 p.m. Dec. 13 at Lexington Avenue Baptist Church, 339 W. Lexington Ave. A special presentation by the Mid-Kentucky Arts chorus and professional instrumentalists, under the direction of Dr. Teresa Tedder. Admission is $15; $12 for senior citizens; and $10 for students. Reserved seating is available for pre-concert ticket purchases; general admission tickets are available the night of the concert. For tickets, call (859) 236-3565 or (859) 481-7094, or stop by the LABC office.
- Perryville Jamboree, 5:30-10 p.m. Saturdays at 103 N. Bragg St. Dinner starts at 5:30 p.m. and is served until 7 p.m. Entertainment by Kentucky South with guest performers. Cover is $10. Info: (859) 583-9780
- Live music at Mae Johnson’s White Barn, 8 p.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday, Waynesburg. Cost is $5. Pool room opens at 7 p.m. Every Saturday, a door prize will be awarded for tickets drawn for a $100 prize. Information: (606) 365-3417
- Acoustic jam/amplified jam, 7-9:30 p.m. second and fourth Tuesdays every month. Jam sessions are being held at the Masonic Lodge at North Fourth and Smith streets. Info: John Hughes, (859) 583-4112
- Pickers and grinners open jam session, 10:15 a.m.-noon Saturdays at Kentucky Fudge Company, 225 South Main St., Harrodsburg. Bring instrument and sing along with us. Info: (859) 733-0088
- Fredia’s Country Music, 7-10 p.m. Saturdays at 4221 Dry Ridge Road, Liberty. Cost is $6 at the door. A new band plays every weekend, family-friendly environment. Info: (606) 706-8596
- Karaoke, 7:30 p.m.-midnight Friday at Garden Club, Junction City. Cover is $10. Info: (859) 583-1100
- “Fruitcakes,” Thursday-Sunday and Dec. 12-15 at West T. Hill Community Theatre (WTH), 117 Larrimore Lane, Danville. A comedy-drama by Julian Wiles that mixes together a huge batch of hard-as-bricks fruitcakes, three-dozen Christmas trees, 10,000 Christmas lights, a town filled with nutty characters and making holiday fun and cheer for the whole family; a heaping helping of holiday warmth. Tickets: westthill.net or (859) 319-0205.
- Auditions for Arthur Miller’s “Death of a Salesman,” Jan. 5-6 at WTH, Danville. The 1949 winner of the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award for best play, this story revolves around the last days of Willy Loman, a failing salesman who cannot understand how he has failed at success and happiness. His tragic soul-searching revelation is played out on stage. Open auditions will be 3-5 p.m. Jan. 5. Auditions by appointment will be 5:30-8:30 p.m. Jan. 5-6. Roles are available for 11 men and four women. Actors are asked to bring a prepared two-minute segment or read a selection from the script. For appointments or info, contact director Greg Hancock, firstname.lastname@example.org, before Dec. 22.
OUT AND ABOUT
- Wilderness Trail Distillery Holiday Open House: Dec 6 and 7 featuring a special Bourbon release, cocktail specials and door prizes. Hours: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Dec. 6 and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dec. 7. First Friday music with Mike Archer 6-9 p.m. Dec. 6.
- Holiday Market, Tuesday-Saturday through Dec. 23 at Art Center of the Bluegrass (ACB), 401 W. Main St., Danville. A curated shopping experience featuring hand-crafted gifts by local and regional artists. Shoppers will find “giftable art” by dozens of artists, with pottery, ornaments, fiber art, small paintings, notecards, children’s toys, jewelry and more. Open during the center’s regular business hours. Opening reception 5:30-7:30 p.m. Friday invites public to meet the artists, refreshments offered.
- Harvey’s Trivia Night, 7 p.m. Mondays at Harvey’s, 120 S. Fourth St., Danville. Hosted by Mike Archer, cost is $20 per team for up to six members. Gift cards and T-shirts awarded to the top three winners, as well as other goodies that vary weekly.
- Jane’s Authentic Cocktail Society, 5 p.m. Thursdays at Jane Barleycorns, 130 S. Fourth St. A new craft cocktail featured every week using premium spirits and other ingredients. Info: exploretock.com/janebarleycorn, (859) 324-5036
- Trivia Night, 7 p.m. Thursdays at The Still, Danville, for Family Feud-style trivia. Different topics each Thursday.
- Annual Christmas Tea Room, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at Morgan Row, 222 S. Chiles St. in Harrodsburg. The 27th annual event benefits the Harrodsburg Historical Society. Soups, sandwiches, beverages and desserts for sale. Dine in or carry out available. Info: (859) 734-5985.
- Adult Education GED Class. 5 p.m. Mondays at BCPL, Danville. Earn your GED for free. Offered by the Boyle County Adult Education GED Program. Info: (606) 922-6819
- Adult Ed/GED, 9 a.m.-noon Monday-Thursday at The Presbyterian Church of Danville, 500 W. Main St. Free program offered to help obtain GED. Enrollment in an online GED Prep program is also available at no cost. Info: (606) 922-6819
- Body Recall, 9-9:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday at First Christian Church Disciple of Christ, 555 E. Lexington Ave., Danville. Classes help regain strength, mobility and flexibility, aid in everyday living. Fee is $6 a week. Info: Carolyn Walter, (859) 548-8203, 236-4006
- Tai Chi, 2 p.m. Wednesdays at A Gathering Place, 569 Jean Drive. Open to all senior citizens in the area. Info: (859) 236-2070
- Yoga for senior citizens, 10 a.m. Thursdays at A Gathering Place-Danville-Boyle County Senior Citizens Inc., 569 Jean Drive. Led by Francine N. Southerland, a certified yoga instructor. Open to all senior citizens in the area. Info: (859) 236-2070
- Hemp & CBD in Kentucky, 6 p.m. Nov. 21 at LCPL, Stanford. Learn about how it works, organic growing methods, etc. in class presented by Kentucky Green Grass. Info: (606) 365-7513
- Violin, piano, ukulele and voice instruction by Amanda Sivers. Info: (859) 319-3806, amandasivers.com
- Piano and voice instruction, en Inglés o Español by Richard Ferreira, Danville. Info: (859) 329-7814
- Guitar instruction by Jeff Cain, at CAC, Danville. Info: email@example.com, (606) 669-3040
- Pokémon Club, 1 p.m. Saturday at BCPL, Danville. Come catch ‘em all! Play Pokémon Trading Card Game with other trainers. For ages 9-13.
- Adult Dungeons & Dragons Club, 4:30 p.m. Sunday at BCPL, Danville. Enjoy a role-playing game in a social group setting. Create fantastic characters and take them through stories, battles, and challenges. Refreshments and gaming supplies provided. New players are welcome, registration required. For ages 18 and up.
- Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club, 4 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. Enjoy a role-playing game in a social group setting. Create fantastic characters and take them through stories, battles, and challenges. Refreshments and gaming supplies provided. New players are welcome. For ages 13-18.
- LEGO club, 4 p.m. Dec. 13 at BCPL, Danville. Build your own unique creation with everyone’s favorite building blocks.
- Open Coding Club, 4 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. Learn to code at the Library at this self-paced class. No experience required. For all students in grades 6-12. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Wilderness Road Amateur Radio Club, 7:30 p.m. the fourth Tuesday of every month at American Legion Post 46, 45 Spears Lane, Danville. Info: wrarc.com
- Mystery Book Club, 1 p.m. second Wednesday of each month at GCPL, 101 Lexington St., Lancaster. Book available at circulation desk. Info: (859) 792-3424
- Happy Scrappers Scrapbook Club, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. third Saturday of the month in Community Room 2 at LCPL, Stanford. New participants are welcome.
AND MORE ….
- Beyblades Battle, 4:30 p.m. today (Thursday, Dec. 5) at BCPL, Danville. Play with others in a beyblade battle. Personal beyblades are welcome. The library will provide some beyblades and the arena. All youth ages are welcome.
- Crafting for Keeps: Book Wreaths, 6:30 p.m. tonight (Thursday, Dec. 5) at BCPL, Danville. Make a wreath from the pages of old books. A fun craft and a lovely decoration for any home. For ages 18 and up.
- Star Warigami, 4:30 p.m. Friday at BCPL, Danville. Learn to make Star Wars origami creations inspired by the Origami Yoda book series by Tom Angleberger. All attendees will be entered in a prize drawing to win one of the books! For ages 9-13.
- 2nd Monday Book Discussion Group, 3 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. The book selection this month is “The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experimentz’ by A.J. Jacobs.
- Gingerbread Zombies, 4:30 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. A fun twist on a classic holiday cookie. Decorate a gingerbread cookie as a zombie you can eat. For ages 9-13.
- Danville Writers Group, 5:30 Monday at BCPL, Danville. A group of individuals who enjoy writing and sharing their work. All writers are welcome.
- Bedtime Storytime, 6 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. Listen to holiday bedtime stories and songs. Kids can wear their pajamas and bring a stuffed animal friend with them. For ages 3-5.
- KidStir, 4 p.m. Tuesday at BCPL, Danville. This month we will make and taste holiday treats. For ages 5-8. Registration required.
- Author visit with Jeanette-Marie Mirich, 1 p.m. Dec. 12 at BCPL, Danville. A local author will showcase her book “The Courtship of Harry’s Wife.”
- Teen Space: Holiday Cards, 4-7 p.m. Dec. 12 at BCPL, Danville. Play Nintendo Switch, eat pizza, and get creative. This month, we’ll also create holiday cards to send to local assisted living facilities. (BCPL Community Room)
- STEAM Lab: Oobleck, 4:30 p.m. Dec. 12 at BCPL, Danville. Mix up your own messy oobleck. For ages 9-13.
- Coloring & Conversation, 6 p.m. Dec. 12 at BCPL, Danville. Rediscover the joy of coloring at this coloring club for adults.
- Byron Crawford: Christmas Nostalgia, 7 p.m. Dec. 12 at BCPL, Danville. Known as “Kentucky’s Storyteller,” this veteran journalist will regale the audience with holiday stories, many of which feature Danville residents. Sponsored by Friends of the Library.
- Pictures with Santa, 1:30-3:30 p.m. Dec. 14 at BCPL, Danville. Enjoy a visit with Santa Claus at the library. Crafts for kids will also be available. The line will close at 3:15 pm. Co-sponsored with Heart of Danville.
- Crafters Who Care, 3-5 p.m. Mondays. Knit and crochet hats and scarves for those in need. No experience necessary.
- Zentangle and adult coloring, 10 a.m.-noon and 6-8 p.m. every third Thursday of the month at LCPL, Stanford. Create new Zentangle projects or relax with adult coloring. Registration required.
- Adult Storytime, 9 a.m. Mondays at BCPL, Danville. A weekly social hour and book club for individuals with and without disabilities to utilize the library and pursue common interests together.
- Boyle County Public Library Storytimes: Toddler, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday; Preschool, 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays for children 3-5. Special monthly preschool storytime 10:30 a.m. Dec. 13 for ages 3-5.
- Garrard County Public Library Storytimes: 10 a.m. Wednesdays and 1 p.m. Thursdays. No storytime if special programs held at same time. Info: (859) 792-3424
- Lincoln County Public Library Storytimes: Toddler Tales, 10 a.m. Thursdays; Preschool, 11 a.m. Thursdays. Info: lcplinfo.org., (606) 365-7513
- Ceramic Creations by Jaque, 535 S. Fourth St., Danville. A paint-your-own pottery studio, open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Cost is $10 and up. Info: (859) 236-7288
- McDowell House Museum and Apothecary Shop, 125 S. Second St., Danville. A National Historic Landmark offering tours through Dr. Ephraim McDowell’s home. The Gift Shop at Constitution Square, 134 S. Second St., Danville, sells Kentucky-made items. Info: (859) 236-2804 for museum; 236-2803 for gift shop
- The Great American Dollhouse Museum, 344 Swope Dr., Danville. Hours are 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. Info: (859) 583-8000, thedollhousemuseum.com
- Little Paws Piano and Music Studio, 475 West Main St., Danville. Classes like Kindermusik; private instruction available. Info: (859) 319-1066
- Opening Act Studio, at Hometown Kids, 440 W. 4th St., Perryville. Theater and performance taught by Emma Steberl; limited scholarships available. Info: (859) 319-6821.
A night of compassion Compassionate Friends is an organization that nobody wants to join. Yet the number of people who... read more