Ephraim McDowell Health offering free screening kits for colorectal cancer
Published 5:38 pm Wednesday, March 15, 2023
Colon cancer is a preventable disease, but it is the third leading cancer killer in the United States. It doesn’t have to be! Nine out of 10 colon cancer cases may be prevented or cured with regular screenings.
Ephraim McDowell Health Community Services, with the support of the Ephraim McDowell Health Care Foundation, is working to raise awareness that regular screenings can detect cancer in its early stages, when it is the most treatable. While a colonoscopy and/or sigmoidoscopy is the most accurate way to diagnose colon cancer, regular screening of the feces (stool) may indicate further need for diagnostic testing.
Ephraim McDowell Health will offer free, take-home colon cancer screening kits in April. The screening kits are available for anyone over the age of 45 who has not had a screening in the last 12 months. The kits may be picked up between April 3 and April 21 at any of the following locations during normal business hours. Supplies are limited.
Email newsletter signup
● Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center information desks (Third Street and South Wing entrances)
● McDowell Wellness Center
● Ephraim McDowell Commonwealth Cancer Center
● Centenary United Methodist Church
● Ephraim McDowell Fort Logan Hospital information desk
● PBK Bank
● Ephraim McDowell James B. Haggin Hospital (Main information desk & ER desk)
● North Garrard Family Medical Center
● Ephraim McDowell Liberty Family Medical Center
● Ephraim McDowell Springfield Family Medical Center