Danville fall hydrant flushing and testing 2016
Published 2:39 pm Tuesday, September 13, 2016
DANVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT
The Danville Fire Department will begin the 2016 Fall hydrant flushing and testing on Wednesday, Sept.14.
Signs will be posted in each area before flushing begins. Flushing will be done between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. Hydrant flushing and testing is done to ensure that all city-owned hydrants and water lines are operating properly and will be usable during a fire emergency. Hydrant flushing may cause discoloration of your household water in or near the areas being tested, which is a result of iron deposits being disturbed during the flushing process. Iron deposits can build up inside pressure tanks, water heaters and water pipes. It occasionally breaks loose, causing rusty water when faucets are first opened. This happens especially when city or household water lines are disturbed (e.g. moved, replaced, back flushed, or repaired) and rust breaks loose from old pipes.
Email newsletter signup
Customers are advised to check their water for signs of discoloration prior to doing laundry. If you notice discoloration in the water, let it run until it clears before doing laundry. This usually takes less than five minutes. If laundry appears stained, keep the articles wet and rewash them using a rustremoving compound. Do not use bleach on stained laundry, as it will “set” the stain.
To see a detailed map of each area, visit www.danvilleky.org for a detailed map of each area.
Listed is the tentative schedule. Streets include adjacent areas and roadways. Rain and emergencies may delay testing (see website for weekly updates):
• Wednesday, Sept. 14….Green Acres, Candlewood, Danville High School Area
• Thursday, Sept. 15….East Main St., Hill n Dale area
• Friday, Sept. 16….Indian Hills, Lexington Rd. and Goggin Area, Grabruck area
• Monday, Sept 19…Shakertown Rd area thru North 6th St.
• Tuesday, Sept. 20….Streamland, Colonial, Brookcove subdivisions
• Wednesday, Sept. 21….Downtown area, includes Broadway to Martin Luther King (firefighters will also be testing the downtown area beginning at 7pm to avoid traffic problems)
• Thursday, Sept. 22…Maple Ave area, Argyll subdivision, Hardee St. Area, Caldwell Manor
• Friday, Sept. 23….West Danville, Boyle County High School area and Millennium Park
• Monday, Sept. 26….Ben Ali area, Danville Square and Bluegrass Subdivision, Bluegrass Pike
•. Tuesday, Sept. 27….South Fourth St., KSD area, Stockyards area and J.E. Woods Dr.
• Wednesday, Sept. 28….Stanford Rd. Area
• Thursday, Sept. 29….Highland Ct., Duncan Hill, Baughman and Imperial Trailer Park13. Friday, September 30….Cloverdale, Ridgefield, Paula Heights subdivisions
14. Monday, Oct. 3 …..Lincoln, Jefferson, Madison, Lisa areas and Brookshire subdivision
15. Tuesday, Oct. 4….South Danville bypass area, Walton and May Blvd. Popplewell
16. Wednesday, Oct. 5….Stewarts Lane, Lebanon Rd., Industrial Park, Corporate Drive areas
For more information contact: The Danville Fire Department at 2381211.