Results from the 2016 Kentucky State BBQ Festival
KENTUCKY STATE BBQ FEST
• One Bite Challenge — Greg Elkins, Elkhawg Smokers, Winchester
• Steak cook-off — Kenny Ecton, Dazed and Confused BBQ, Lexington
• Ribs — Kenny Ecton, first place; 2nd Greg Elkins, second place; Jack Coleman, The Triple J and C Cook Team, Harrodsburg, third place.
Door Prize Winners
• Charbroil Vertical Gas Smoker — Bobi House of Lawrenceburg, Saturday; Sheri Herndon of Louisville, Sunday;
• Weber 22″ Original Kettle Grill — Hannah Bruner of Shelbyville, Saturday; Tina Hadley of Adair, Sunday;
• Kettle Pizza Kit— Cathy Boursaw of Danville, Saturday; Serita Johnson of Lexington, Sunday.
• Big Green Egg Raffle— Donna Villa
• Green Mountain Grill Raffle — Tim Williams
• Ole Hickory CTO Raffle — Tony P.
• 50/50 Drawing— Emma Bass
Bean Eating Contest: Jamie Palmer was the winner four years in a row, after he downed 10 cups of beans in two minutes.
Hog Calling Contest: Andrew Cole of Versailles
Special Recognition and Thank You
• Tim Mikeska – Volunteer Festival Announcer – Tim Mikeska is CEO of Mikeska’s Bar-B-Q Inc. and owns Mikeska Brands. He drives hours from Taylor, Texas to join the Festival and be our announcer for three days.
• Mike Southerland – Co-owner of Brothers BBQ. Mike opens his doors and kitchen to the visiting Pit Masters when they may need a place to cook and prepare special parts of their meals. He also provides his restaurant as a late-night spot for the Pit Masters to chill out and enjoy the camaraderie of the other Pit Masters.
• Pat Morley – Music Director of the Festival – Researches, chooses and hires the bands who play at the festival. Pat also provides and runs the sound equipment for the whole weekend.