Junction City chili cook-off raises funds for drug treatment
Published 11:27 am Monday, October 31, 2016
Junction City hosted a chili cook-off on Saturday with proceeds going toward the Agency for Substance Abuse Policy to help send individuals to drug treatment.
“It’s a great way for people to come and eat and have fun and save lives at the same time,” ASAP Director Kathy Miles said. “What’s better than that?”
There were six contestants in the chili cook-off.
Email newsletter signup
• Team A — Bluegrass 911: Jean Combs, who is a dispatcher at Bluegrass 911 competed for the second time.
“I love to cook,” Combs said, as she was describing the different baked goods she enters into the Kentucky State Fair every year.
“I love doing chili, too,” she said.
• Team B — After Burners: Brad and Cindy Simmons from Lucky Dog BBQ showed up with a spin on their famous barbecue in their chili. This is also the second year they have competed.
• Team C — Rick Waldon: Waldon also competed for the second time and is a previous winner of the “One Bite” award.
“It’s fun being able to hang out and cook some chili and drink some beer,” Waldon said.
• Team D — Fire in the Hole: Hunter and Landon Simmons, who are the sons of Brad and Cindy Simmons from Lucky Dog BBQ, made their own pot of chili for the contest.
• Team E — The Church: Junction City City Council member Kenny Baldwin and Derek Casey.
• Team F — Sue Gibson: Gibson competed for her first year.
The chili was judged by Brian Wofford with ASAP, Nick Rhodus with Families Into Getting Help Together (FIGHT), Boyle County Detention Center Chaplain Tom Grugel, Boyle County EMS Director Mike Wilder and Assistant Boyle County Superintendent Chris Holderman.
Rick Waldon took home two awards — the “One Bite” award and third place. Brad and Cindy Simmons won second place. Jean Combs took home the people’s choice award, along with first place.
The event raised approximately $300 raised for ASAP drug treatment.
“Every little bit that helps people go to treatment is saving lives,” Miles said. “I’m so thankful for every little bit.”