Save-a-Lot planned for Lancaster, but who will open it now unknown
LANCASTER — There are plans to open a Save-a-Lot in Lancaster, providing Garrard County with something it hasn’t had since 2008 — a full-service grocery store. But it’s now unclear who will be opening the store.
Larry Thornberry, who was initially set to open the U.S. 27 store with his family, said on Monday that “someone else” was going to be opening a store.
“We were going to be opening one, but it turns out someone else is,” he said.
The Thornberry family owns multiple Save-a-Lot stores in Kentucky, including in Richmond.
Mayor Chris Davis and Judge executive John Wilson did not return phone calls asking for comment on the change.
Davis said previously that a Save-a-Lot would be opened across from the McDonald’s on U.S. 27.
At the time, Davis called the store a “collaborative effort” between city and county officials, as well as other community members.
While Garrard County has Dollar General and Family Dollar stores, the county hasn’t had a full-service grocery store since Lynco closed in 2008, taking with it the options of fresh produce or fresh meat.
Residents of Garrard have complained for years about their lack of a grocery store, and elected officials have tried in many ways to lure a store to the county. Despite being heavily agricultural, the county may be the only one in Kentucky without a supermarket providing meat and produce, according to an Aug. 22 article from the Herald-Leader.
When the Thornberry family was expected to be owners, Davis said the Save-a-Lot was expected to have a full-service butcher and provide employment for 20-25 people.
Follow Kendra Peek on Twitter, @knpeek.