Boyle 17-18 school calendar approved
Boyle County Board of Education approved a calendar for the 2017-18 school year Thursday night.
Superintendent Mike LaFavers said the calendar was created based on the input of approximately 800 people in the district who participated in a survey.
“Teachers and parents — hundreds of each — and community members” provided feedback on when they would like to see school start and when breaks should be held, LaFavers said.
Survey results showed a preference for fall break to be the second week of October. Officials also learned that many were in favor of a winter break that begins and ends mid-week, LaFavers said.
“It’s the community’s school calendar,” LaFavers said after the meeting. “… We want the parents, the teachers, the students — we want those people to build their calendar.”
LaFavers said he is sharing Boyle’s process in surveying the community and implementing a calendar with an official from the Kentucky School Board Association who was interested in seeing how it worked. It’s possible Boyle’s strategies could be shared with other school districts.
Highlights from the 2017-18 calendar include:
• Aug. 14, 2017 — opening day
• Aug. 16, 2017 — first day for students
• Oct. 9-13, 2017 — fall break
• Dec. 21-Jan. 3, 2018 — winter break
• April 2-6, 2018 — spring break
• May 22, 2018 — last day for students
• May 23, 2018 — closing day for staff
In other business, the board:
• Approved seven different pieces of paperwork for the Kentucky Department of Education concerning capital and construction projects at schools. LaFavers said two projects — replacing the middle school roof and a partial roof replacement at Junction City and Perryville elementary schools — came in under budget to the tune of about $68,000. “Between the two projects, about $68,000 will be available to apply to the new middle school,” he said.
• Authorized a request for bids for a soft drink contract with the district. Director of Finance David Morris said both Pepsi and Coca-Cola are expected to bid on the contract.