Lancaster man charged with assaulting state troopers

Published 9:59 am Wednesday, January 4, 2017

LANCASTER — A welfare check turned violent last week, leading to the arrest of a Lancaster man for allegedly assaulting two state troopers.

Christopher B. Wilcoxson, 32, was arrested Dec. 27 and charged with resisting arrest, second-degree disorderly conduct, second-degree assault of a police officer and third-degree assault of a police officer or probation officer, according to records from the Lincoln County Regional Jail.

Email newsletter signup

Troopers were responding to check on the welfare of Wilcoxson, who was “off his medication and supposedly walking to the airport,” according to an arrest citation filed by Trooper Tyler Morris.

A state trooper identified as Trooper Stevens in the citation located Wilcoxson along Rogers Road, north of Lancaster in Garrard County.

“As I pulled up to Tpr. Stevens, Mr. Wilcoxson was walking in front of Tpr. Stevens and suddenly turned around and leaped towards Tpr. Stevens, punching him in the face, causing serious physical injury,” the citation reads. “I exited my vehicle as Mr. Wilcoxson was still throwing punches at Tpr. Stevens. Mr. Wilcoxson continued to resist and actively fight troopers after several loud verbal commands were given to stop …”

Morris states in the citation that Wilcoxson punched him “in the right eye with a closed fist” as he attempted to take Wilcoxson to the ground. The troopers got Wilcoxson on the ground but the man continued resisting and elbowed Morris in the throat, according to the citation.

“After several minutes of Mr. Wilcoxson actively fighting myself and Tpr. Stevens, I was finally able to place handcuffs on him, at which time he was still being combative,” the citation reads. “A motorist was stopped in the roadway and … Mr. Wilcoxson’s actions caused alarm and disturbance to the motorist.”

The incident happened between 1 and 1:45 p.m. Dec. 27, according to the citation. Wilcoxson was booked into the Lincoln County Regional Jail just before 5 p.m. the same day, according to jail records.

Wilcoxson was being held in the jail without bond Tuesday evening.

Kentucky State Police were not immediately able to comment further on the incident or the current medical condition of Stevens or Morris.