Nest in Perryville Elementary HVAC unit catches fire; school not damaged

Published 5:29 pm Saturday, January 7, 2017

PERRYVILLE — The Perryville Fire Department was dispatched to Perryville Elementary School at 6:15 a.m. Saturday morning for an activated alarm, according to Perryville Fire Department Chief Anthony Young.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke in the cafeteria area, Young said. 

Firefighters investigated and found a fire in the rooftop HVAC unit due to a bird’s nest that was on fire, he said. 

Email newsletter signup

Young said the fire was extinguished and the smoke was removed from the building. 

Perryville Fire Department was on the scene for about an hour and a half, he said. 

There was no damage to the school and the HVAC unit was taken out of service, he said.