Area MLK events start Saturday
Published 3:29 pm Thursday, January 12, 2017
KY COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
The following are Martin Luther King Jr. Day-related events taking place in the area.
• On Saturday, Jan. 14, at 8 p.m., there will be a musical performance by René Marie and Experiment in Truth, at the Norton Center, 600 W. Walnut St. The singer is known for her vocal vibrancy and self-possessed boldness. The event presents a distinctly American mélange of jazz, soul, blues, folk, and gospel. Admission is from $38 to $49. Call the center at (859) 236-4692 or visit the website at http://bit.ly/2juWUlS.
• On Monday, Jan. 16, at noon, there will be The Downtown Danville March, beginning at First Baptist Church, 200 W. Walnut St. At 2 p.m. is a program and MLK Jr. service at the First Baptist Church. For more Information, contact Marvin Swann, president of the Danville-Boyle County NAACP at (859) 236-5193.
• On Monday, Jan. 16, at 7 p.m., will be the Resilience of Memory, a presentation by Georgia State Rep. Stacey Abrams, at the Norton Center for The Arts, in the Newlin Hall of Centre College, 600 W. Walnut St.
• On Wednesday, Jan. 18, at 11 a.m., will be the Founders Day presentation by Frank X Walker, who was the first African-American Poet Laureate of Kentucky. The event will be held in Newlin Hall.
• The 11th Annual MLK Day Event, “Dream. Believe. Become.” will be held Monday, Jan. 16. At 8 a.m., there will be a free pancake breakfast; at 9 a.m., a commemorative march; and at 9:30 a.m., a special program. All events will take place at Harrodsburg Intermediate School, 443 East Lexington St. Donations will be accepted at the breakfast and will benefit Mercer Transformation, the organization managing the old Harrodsburg High School campus on Lexington St. Free pink T-shirts will be given to the first 200 attendees in honor of cancer awareness this year. For more information, call the Mercer County Extension Office at (859) 734-4378 or email email@example.com.