Free computer classes offered at the library in February
The Boyle County Public Library offers free computer classes every month. The computer classes to be held at the library in February include:
• Computer Basics — Tuesday, Feb 7 at 2:30 p.m. This class is an introduction to using your computer. Learn about the various parts of a computer; the importance between hardware and software; using a mouse/keyboard; and an overview of how to launch programs.
• Keyboarding Series: Typing I, II and III Typing I — Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 11 a.m.; Typing II on Wednesday, Feb. 15 at 11 a.m.; Typing III on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 11 a.m. These sessions will provide new typists with beginning instruction, and a refresher for those with rusty typing skills. Correct finger placement and accuracy will be the primary focus. (Limited to 8 participants.)
• Microsoft Office (Part 1): Introduction to Microsoft Word — Thursday, Feb. 9 at 2 p.m. This class offers a basic introduction to word processing. Instruction will be given on using the ribbon; creating, saving, and printing documents; copying and pasting text; formatting lists; and checking spelling and grammar. (Computer Basics recommended.)
• Internet Basics — Monday, Feb. 13 at 2 p.m. This class provides a basic introduction to the internet. It includes accessing websites; using different browsers; and using common buttons and menus. (Computer Basics recommended.)
• Microsoft Office (Part 2): Introduction to Microsoft Excel — Thursday, Feb. 16 at 2 p.m. This class is an introduction to the spreadsheet productivity software from Microsoft. Create, save, and print worksheets; enter and modify data; and learn a few basic functions/formulas. (Intro. to Microsoft Word recommended.)
• Mobile Devices: Android — Friday, Feb. 17 at 2:30 p.m. Learn more about your Android tablet or smartphone, including appropriate gestures, how to navigate the settings menu, installing and using apps, and general concerns. Participants should bring their Google login information for the best experience.
• Email Basics — Monday, Feb. 20 at 11:30 a.m. This class will provide new computer users with some basic skills to set up and use an email account, including sending email and adding attachments. (Internet Basics recommended.)
• Job Seeking and Applications — Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 2:30 p.m. This class will provide an overview of some resources available to job seekers in finding employment and some tips for getting started on your application. (Internet Basics recommended.)
• Microsoft Office (Part 3): Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint — Thursday, Feb. 23 at 2 p.m. This class provides a basic introduction to Microsoft’s slide presentation software. We will cover creating, saving, and presenting a slideshow; adding new slides; determining slide layout and design; and entering information to be displayed. (Intro. to Microsoft Word recommended.)
• Mobile Devices: Apple iPad & iPhone — Friday, Feb. 24 at 2:30 p.m. Learn more about your Apple iPad or iPhone, including appropriate gestures, how to navigate the settings menu, installing and using apps, and general concerns. Participants should bring their Apple ID login information for the best experience.
• Facebook — Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 2:30 p.m. Facebook is a popular social networking site that allows you to connect with others. Learn how to create a Facebook account and customize your profile. The class will cover how to upload pictures; update your status; set your privacy and account settings; and search for family and friends. If you already have a Facebook account, please bring your account login information. (Basic computer and internet skills recommended.)
Those interested in attending any of the computer classes may register online at www.BoylePubLib.org under the “Using the Library” tab or by calling the library at (859) 238.7323. In addition to these classes, one-on-one computer support is also available by appointment.