Race Wilderness Trace series returns for 32nd year
Published 8:23 am Tuesday, February 28, 2017
By BEN KLEPPINGER
The annual Race Wilderness Trace series of biking, hiking, walking and running events will soon kick off its 32nd year of encouraging local residents to get healthy and stay in shape.
Email newsletter signup
The 2017 series includes 25 area events, beginning with the All Fired Up 5K in Lebanon on March 11 and ending with the Jingle Jog 5K in Stanford on Dec. 3, when awards for participants will be presented.
“The whole idea is to promote people to stay healthy and to be involved in the local running events,” said Rick Serres, who has coordinated the series for all 32 years.
Race Wilderness Trace got started back in the mid 1980s when many local runners were participating in five big events — the Constitution Run at the Constitution Festival, the Pioneer Days run in Harrodsburg, the Battle of Perryville 5K, Junction City Railroad Days 5K and the Run for the Milk 5K in Stanford.
“It was kind of a fun, friendly competition. A lot of people became interested in it wherever they may be in their running abilities,” Serres said.
The series grew to include more area events as its popularity increased, and the focus went from comparing best times to simply participating in lots of races.
“We have a lot more races in the area and over the years, a lot more people wanted to be included in the series to promote their run,” Serres said. “In the beginning, it was mainly competitive runners. The rewards were not so much for participation, it was average time.”
People who register for Race Wilderness Trace, which costs $20, will receive rewards for completing 10, 15, 20 or all 25 events on the list. The first reward for 10 events is the big one — usually it’s pullover jacket or some kind of running top with the Race Wilderness Trace logo. From there, participants can earn extra accessories — a duffel bag or a stocking cap, perhaps — for each five additional events they participate in, Serres said.
Ephraim McDowell Health and Danville-Boyle County Parks and Recreation are partners in this year’s series largely because they already help promote wellness in the community and are supportive of the events that make up the series, Serres said. Wilderness Trace YMCA, Danville Bike and Footwear and Bluegrass Biomedical Inc. are also partners.
SO YOU KNOW
More information about the Race Wilderness Trace series is available at dbfky.com or by visiting the associated Facebook page at bit.ly/2mnjKRS. Rick Serres can be contacted at (859) 533-0862.
Registration is $20 and the deadline to register is Oct. 31. Participants will receive rewards for participating in 10, 15, 20 and 25 events.
The 25 events that are part of the series are:
• May 11: All Fired Up 5K, Lebanon (9 a.m.)
• April 1: Relay for Life 5K, Stanford (9 a.m.)
• April 8: Shaker Village Trail Runs (8 a.m.)
• April 15: Nitzie’s Hippity Hoppity 3K, Millennium Park (10 a.m.)
• April 22: Earth Day Bike Ride at BCTC, Danville (10 a.m.)
• May 13: Jennie Carol Memorial 5K, Danville (8 a.m.)
• May 27: McDowell Wellness Center 10K, Danville (8 a.m.)
• May 29: Marching Ant 5K, Stanford (8 a.m.)
• June 3: Brass Band 5K, Millennium Park (8 a.m.)
• June 10: Beef Festival 5K, Harrodsburg (7:30 a.m.)
• June 10: Ride Your Butt Off, Harrodsburg (9 a.m.)
• June 17: Bill Pollom Memorial Fathers Day 5K, Millennium Park (8 a.m.)
• July 29: Jingle in July 5K, Garrard High School (8 a.m.)
• Aug. 5: Coach Plummer 5K, Admiral Stadium (8 a.m.)
• Aug. 12: Ren10 10K run/5K walk, Renfro Valley (8 a.m.)
• Aug. 26: Dash for Danielle 5K, Boyle Fairgrounds (8 a.m.)
• Sept. 9: Constitution Run for the Arts 5K, Danville (8 a.m.)
• Sept. 9: Smoking’ Butt Bike Ride, Danville (10 a.m.)
• Sept. 16: Trust for Life 5K, Winchester (8 a.m.)
• Oct. 14: Fox & Hound Cross Country Chase, Forkland (8 a.m.)
• Oct. 28: Monster Dash 5K, Millennium Park (8:15 a.m. kids mile/9 a.m. 5K)
• Oct. 29 Betweenathon 10K, 15K, half-marathon, William Whitley House (8 a.m.)
• Nov. 4: Jaguar Jog 5K, Junction City Elementary (9 a.m.)
• Dec. 2: Jingle Bell 6K, Renfro Valley (8:30 a.m.)
• Dec. 3: Jingle Jog 5K, Stanford (2:30 p.m.)