From our files: June 17
100 YEARS AGO — 1917
The trustees of the Daughters’ College Souvenir Fund have had a very attractive and appropriate marker placed at the graves of President and Mrs. Williams in Spring Hill Cemetery in Harrodsburg. The honoring in this way the memory of those whose unselfish labor among us meant so much to the community will be commended by all who loved and revered the noted educator who was so many years at head of famous old Daughter’s College. It has frequently happened that former students at the institution have made pilgrimages here to visit his grave and have found difficulty in locating it in our city of the dead.
J.B. Conn, of Lancaster, was in Danville yesterday with Briscoe Conn, the local automobile man. Mr. Conn with his brother, John Allen, has built up one of the largest machine shops in Central Kentucky. They are also engaged in the hardware and implement business in Lancaster, carrying an immense stock. All of his well known Garrard County family are expert machinists and have wide reputations for their ability.
Charles Baldwin, of Danville, has been busily engaged the last few days in moving the large residence from its present location next to the Ft. Harrod Garage to the lot on Chiles Street. The building was recently purchased by Glave Goddard from Messrs. Gentry and Eastland. One citizen who had participated rather freely of the famous Kentucky Bourbon beverage was considerably frightened by the strange spectacle being firmly convinced that it was a battle ship moving down Main Street.
75 YEARS AGO — 1942
The scrap rubber drive now in progress is meeting with excellent results all over the country. Several thousand pounds have already been collected here in Boyle County. Most of the scrap rubber to be found in the county is on Boyle County farms. The Farm Bureau urges every farmer to make a thorough search on his farm and deliver all scrap rubber including old tires, tubes, over shoes, rain coats, etc., to his nearest oil station on his next trip from the farm.
Danville has been selected for the location of a preliminary training center for persons entering the Civilian Service of the U.S. Army.
The Boyle County rationing Board is without permanent quarters. Office space was given the board by the Commonwealth Building and Loan Association when its jurisdiction was limited to tires. When sugar was added it was necessary to find larger quarters. There was no space to be had in the city hall, the county courthouse or in the post office building. The result of the hurry necessitated by the rationing of sugar required the board to find quarters other space. After consulation with the county judge and mayor, it was hoped by the board the local governments would provide for the overhead costs of rent, telephone, lights and office equipment. The board has now obtained a room from Mrs. C.R. McDowell on North Third Street, but no provision has been made for the payment of rent and overhead. The federal government refuses to pay for these items, so the local governments will have to work together to come up with the funds.
Already dubbed the Army’s “miracle car” for its amazing performances on the world battlefields, the Jeep probably will get a job on the farm after the war. Experiments conducted by the United States Department of Agriculture and Willys-Overland Motors Inc., proved the car probably will prove as versatile on the farm in peace as it has at the front in war.
50 YEARS AGO — 1967
The grand opening of the Great A&P Tea Company’s new supermarket at 435 West Main Street, adjacent to the new Danville City Hall, will be held on Wednesday. The modern building replaces the company’s former site on North Fourth Street, where it had been located since February 1941, when it moved into the building which had been built there for the A&P by Miss Emma Weisiger.
Special prices advertised for the grand opening of the A&P grocery store includes: 4, 1-lb. loaves of bread, 99 cents; fig bars, 2 lb. package, 39 cents; Southern Star Slim Jim Wieners, 39 cents; 1-lb. bag of Edwards sausage, 65 cents; 6 12-oz. bottles of Pepsi-Cola, 33 cents; rib roast, 79 cents a pound; T-bone steaks, $1.05 a pound.
“Is Love Everything” the comedy by Edward Dudowica, opened at the Pioneer Playhouse last night. The cast received more than five curtain calls for this special comedy.
Dr. Coleman Gum, a dentist, is moving to Danville and plans to establish his dental practice at 131 North Fourth Street on July 1. A 1957 graduate of Centre College, Dr. Gum is a 1961 graduate of the University of Louisville Dental School. He is presently a major in the U.S. Army Dental Corps, in which he has served for the past six years. His wife, Mrs. Lucy Lee Gum, is a form Danville resident and the daughter of the late Dr. and Mrs. S. Bernel Sharp who lived on Maple Avenue.
25 YEARS AGO — 1992
The Child Development Center of the Bluegrass is faced with finding a new home or leaving the community. The center for physically handicapped children has occupied space at First Baptist Church on Broadway for 11 years free of charge. Now, however, the church needs the space itself to expand its nursery. The Rev. Tim Mathis, pastor of First Baptist, said the congregation is experiencing a baby boom and needs more nursery space.
A Garrard County couple won nearly $2.2 million in damages in Boyle Circuit Court over claims that they lost their cabinet business through a conspiracy and breach of trust involving the former Peoples Bank of Paint Lick, Paint Lick Management Co. and board members of both corporations.