Keepsakes, Sept. 13
Published 8:53 am Wednesday, September 13, 2017
K-9 visits DCA
Happy birthday George!
Email newsletter signup
George Cunningham, along with his wife Gladys, celebrated George’s birthday with about one hundred of their friends at his surprise 90th birthday party and buffet dinner held at Danville Country Club on Friday, Sept. 8. George and Gladys have been leaders in Danville for more than 60 years.
Important milestones in George’s life:
• Born in Danville; he began his career as a small town Danville grocery store owner.
• George became an Ace Hardware store owner; combined total years in these two positions is 62 years.
• Elected 10 times to local office; George served Danville City government (mostly as a commissioner) 21 years.
• George remains an active Sunday School teacher and member of Centenary Methodist Church.
• Cunningham Way, the entry road to Millennium Park, was named to honor George.
• George served our nation in both World War II and the Korean Conflict.