Fire burns garage, part of home on Highland Court

Published 7:51 am Monday, December 11, 2017

Danville Firefighters spent about three hours fighting a blaze at a home on Highland Court in Danville late Saturday night.

Firefighters were called to the home, listed as being owned by a Jane Bourne, at 11:03 p.m., said Assistant Chief Tim Brumfield.

“It started in the garage, attached to the house. The heater is the source, the origin, but we’re not sure the exact cause,” Brumfield said.

Email newsletter signup

The garage was fully involved and fire was extending into the home when crews arrived, he said.

“They were able to stop it from getting inside too much. There’s some smoke, heat and water damage in the kitchen area,” Brumfield said.

Utilities were also cut from the home. While the house is not a total loss, he said some work will have to be done before it can be livable again. Brumfield said the residents stayed with neighbors overnight following the fire. Everyone was able to get out of the home okay, but some cats that were living in the garage were lost in the fire.

The weather was a factor in fighting the fire.

“It was cold. The water — you have to watch for slips and falls. It gets treacherous around the scene,” Brumfield said.