Shaker Village calendar announced
Annual signature events, hands-on workshops and guided hikes, an ultramarathon trail run, monthly dining events and more!
HARRODSBURG — Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill recently announced its 2018 special event and workshop calendar. Details and registration information are available atshakervillageky.org or by calling 800.734.5611.
Annual flagship events like Chamber Music Festival of the Bluegrass, Well Crafted—Brews + Bands, Craft Fair and HarvestFest anchor this year’s calendar with a variety of other special events and workshops hosted throughout the year.
2018 Discovery Treks are curated weekend programs designed to inspire new perspectives through Shaker lessons of community, sustainability and ingenuity. Thematic workshops include beekeeping, paddling, Shaker crafts, guided hikes, butterfly tagging and more. Discovery Treks include village admission and dining discounts.
Fresh Food Adventures, a dining series celebrating flavor-forward foods and spirits, continue in March with Mayan Trustees’ Takeover with Bruce Ucan. From Hike for Beer and Local Farm Feast to Hard Cider Bash and Family Style Quail Supper, Shaker Village’s adventurous dining series has something for everyone.
• The Easter Egg Hunt falls on Saturday, March 31. This egg-citing family event is fun for kids of all ages. Guests are invited to hunt for eggs, meet the newest additions to the barnyard family, grab a bite at the food trucks, play games, make a craft and much more.
• The (un)Pleasant Hill Trail Runs return this year on April 14. Distances include 5k, 10k, 25k and 50k ultramarathon trail runs. New in 2018 is a team option for the 50k.
• Brunch with Babies returns for 2018 and will be held April 21-22. Guests will enjoy a kid-friendly buffet brunch—either full hot offerings at The Trustees’ Table or continental buffet options on the Trustees’ Lawn—followed by a personal introduction to the newest additions of the Shaker Village farm family, including lambs, kids, chicks and more.
• The 12th anniversary celebration of the Chamber Music Festival of the Bluegrass, featuring New York’s Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, will be held May 26-27. Led by CMS artistic directors David Finckel and Wu Han, the Chamber Music Festival of the Bluegrass is a premier Central Kentucky cultural event. World-acclaimed musicians will present magical concerts in a restored barn, as well as the 1820 Meeting House.
• The fifth annual Well Crafted—Brews + Bands festival celebrating local craft beer and musicians is June 16. The event brings together a flavorful mix of Kentucky’s up and coming local breweries with favorite local musicians in a venue like no other. Celebrating the quality and diversity of Kentucky’s music and beer cultures, the festival raises funds for Shaker Village’s sustainable environmental initiatives and programs.
• The Craft Fair attracts the elite among regional artisans, as well as up and coming new artists. This year’s fair will boast an assortment of crafts, including exceptional pottery, jewelry, glassware, woven rugs, needlecraft, basketry, leather goods, floral design and Shaker reproductions. The Shaker Village Craft Fair will be held Aug. 4-5.
• HarvestFest, the annual down-home harvest celebration for the entire family, will be held Sept. 29-30. Guests of all ages will have the opportunity to meet the farm animals, enjoy live music, climb hay stacks, paint a pumpkin, taste apple butter made from apples in the orchard and much more.
• Trick-or-Treat falls on Oct. 26-27. Kids will enjoy a fun and spooky evening trek along the Village road, gathering treat and maybe even a trick or two. Guests can take a hay ride, enjoy live music, food and drink, and warm up by the bonfires.
• Blessing of the Hounds will be held Nov. 24. The traditional blessing of the hounds, riders and the fox will be followed by the Long Run Woodford Hounds’ first meet of the formal season.
• The Holidays at Shaker Village will be Dec. 1-31. During the holiday season, Shaker Village will bustle with light-hearted moments that remind guests of long ago winter days filled with wonder and laughter. Shaker Village is closed Dec. 24-25.
Additional information, including dates, times and prices, can be found online at shakervillageky.org or by calling (800) 734-5611.
Reflections of an artist STAFF REPORT firstname.lastname@example.org The library received an incredible addition to its art collection Sunday, as local... read more