Atlantic Brass Band will headline Great American Picnic
Three-time national champion and 2017 winner of the U.S. Open Brass Band Championship, the Atlantic Brass Band will headline the Great American Picnic on Saturday, June 2, at the Main Stage on the campus of Centre College. Nearly 1,000 picnic patrons are expected to attend this pinnacle event of the Great American Brass Band Festival.
The Great American Picnic will be full of music, with eight bands performing from 5 to 11 p.m. In addition to fabulous music and great food, for $150, picnic patrons will be able to purchase a table that seats eight. Table patrons are eligible to enter a table judging contest. Table patrons will be allowed one hour to decorate, and The Garden Club of Danville will choose the winning tables. Awards will be given for:
• “Best in Theme” for the table that best reflects the community spirit of small town America;
•“Got Style” for the table that best showcases the brass music style of choice: jazz, military, marching, etc.;
•“Improv” for the table that expresses the improvisational spirit of jazz and exhibits innovation or exceptional creativity; and
• “Great American Spirit” for the table that best reflects the genuine spirit of the GABBF.
In addition to the table judging contest, prizes will be given to the following decorated tables:
• The “Best in Business” prize will be given to the most outstanding table sponsored by a business. The winner will receive a $500 advertising bonus from WHIR Hometown Radio (not applicable toward an existing advertising package). The table will also receive two deluxe gift baskets from Cracker Barrel, each containing Cracker Barrel gift certificates.
• The “Best in Show” prize will be given to the non-business table that stands out above all the rest. That table will receive one certificate for a two-month free membership to the Danville Country Club, and two deluxe gift baskets from Cracker Barrel, each containing Cracker Barrel gift certificates.
Table order forms are available on the picnic page of the GABBF’s website (gabbf.org/class/the-great-american-picnic) or by calling (859) 319-8426.
Table order forms must be submitted by May 18 to ensure a table. Requests regarding table location will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis, so early submission is recommended for the best spots.
Local Danville restaurants, including Mallard’s, Harvey’s, Danielle’s Drive-Away Café and The Caterer (Jerry Houck), are available to cater your picnic. More information is available on the table order form on the GABBF’s website.
“This is the Brass Band Festival’s primary fundraiser,” said Robin Cooper, executive director of the GABBF. “We look forward to seeing local businesses and community members enjoy a night of lively brass band music, great food and fellowship — all the while supporting a great cause.”
During the Great American Picnic, bands will perform on the Main Stage in front of Centre College’s Cowan Hall. The complete lineup will be:
• 5 p.m. — 100th Army Concert Band
• 6 p.m. — Advocate Brass Band
• 7 p.m. — Atlantic Brass Band
• 8 p.m. — Syracuse University Brass Ensemble
• 9 p.m. — DOJO with Wycliffe Gordon
• 10 p.m. —The Stooges Brass Band
Danville will attempt to force foreclosure sales of six condemned properties in city limits. City officials will also begin working... read more