This week at the Boyle County Public Library , June 2
Published 6:36 am Saturday, June 2, 2018
The Boyle County Public Library offers many fun, educational events throughout the year. Weekly programs include Adult Storytime 9 a.m. Mondays, Crafters Who Care 6 p.m. Mondays, and Storytimes on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. In addition to these weekly events, the following library-sponsored programs are scheduled for this week:
• Summer Reading Kick-Off Party: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday. Kids of all ages are invited to stop by to register and pick up a schedule of activities and reading log, enjoy a snack, and play in the inflatables. Registration for Summer Reading will continue throughout the summer, and completed reading logs can be redeemed for prizes.
Special Summer Reading events and performances include Inter-County Reptiles and Amphibians, Kentucky Down Under Adventure Zoo, The Mark Wood Fun Show, the Living Arts & Science Center, and the Lafferty Pike Band: Musical Petting Zoo. In addition to these special ticketed events, children will be able to take part in the Summer Science Club, the Kid’s Book Club, and Yoga for Kids.
Separate offerings for teens and tweens include STEM activities, a book club, Escape Room, beginning ballet class, and a variety of crafts, plus teen gaming and trivia activities. The Library will also offer many all-ages activities this summer, including Wild Earth SafariLIVE!, a magic show, musical guests throughout the summer, family movie events, and a musical movie series.
In addition to these in-house programs, the Bookmobile will visit multiple locations throughout the community this summer in an effort to reach those who are unable to visit the Library. Each week the Library will offer fun activities off-site as well as provide books for the children to borrow. This summer’s outreach locations are: Ephraim McDowell “Kid’s Camp,” Salvation Army Day Camp, Long Run Apartments, Toliver Elementary School, Boyle County High School, Forkland Community Center, Coyle Manor (Perryville), Linietta Homes (Junction City) and Junction City Elementary School.
More information about the summer reading program is available on the library’s website and in the schedule of activities, which can be picked up in the library.
• Kid’s Book Club: 2 p.m. Tuesday. The club (which will meet weekly on Tuesdays during the summer) is for children who are going into grades 1-3. Each week we’ll read a different book from one of our favorite series. Book series will include “Geronimo Stilton,” “Magic Tree House,” “I Survived” and “The Boxcar Children.” Children are invited to come discuss the books, participate in trivia, and enjoy snacks. Registration is required.
• Kid’s Science Clubs: 5/6 at 10:30 Thursdays, 7/8 at 11:30 Thursdays, beginning July 7. Each week will feature a different science experiment including making sand, puffy slime, fake spills, elephant toothpaste, and a volcano. The 5/6 Science Club is for 5-6 year olds and will meet on Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. The 7/8 Science Club is for 7-8 year olds and will meet on Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. Registration is required.
• CD Art for Tweens: 4 p.m. Thursday. Participants will use old CDs to create unique artistic creations including scratch art, puff paint designs, and mosaic patterns. For ages 9-13.
• Musical Movie Night: 7 p.m. Thursday. As part of the Summer Reading Program, on select Thursdays in June and July, the library will host musical movie nights featuring popular musicals. On Thursday, a movie from 1992 will be shown, based on the New York City newsboy strike of 1899. (Rated PG; 121 minutes)
• Music Trivia: 2 p.m. Friday. An all-ages music trivia contest, participants will pick their team and compete to win by answering music trivia questions about mystery songs and artist from recent years.
Call the library at(859) 238-7323, visit the website at BoylePubLib.org, or stop by to inquire about the Library’s children’s, ‘tween and teen activities, and adult programs offered throughout the month. Some activities require registration for participation.