This week at the Boyle County Public Library ,June 16
Published 6:09 am Saturday, June 16, 2018
The Boyle County Public Library offers many fun, educational events throughout the year. Weekly programs include Adult Storytime 9 a.m. Mondays, Crafters Who Care 6 p.m. Mondays, and Storytimes on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.
This summer also offers Baby Lapsit, Yoga for Kids, and ukulele lessons on Mondays, the Kid’s Book Club 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Kid’s Science Clubs on Thursday mornings.
In addition to these weekly events, the following library-sponsored programs are scheduled for this week:
Email newsletter signup
• Michael Evces: 2-4 p.m. today (Saturday, June 16). The public is invited to stop by the library to enjoy acoustic guitar music by this local singer-songwriter. This free event will be held on the main floor.
• Escape Room: 2-4 p.m. Monday. Participants will need to use teamwork and critical thinking to solve a series of challenging puzzles in order to open the locked box to escape the room. For ages 9-18.
• Teen Gaming @BCPL: 4 p.m. Tuesday. Featuring video games and snacks, this program will be held in the Community Room and is for ages 13-18.
• Inter-County Reptiles & Amphibians: 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. As part of the Summer Reading program, the library will host this event for kids of all ages to get an up-close look at some reptiles and amphibians native to Kentucky. Tickets are required to attend this event and will be given out 30-minutes prior to the start of the program. An additional non-ticketed Outreach performance will be held at 1 p.m. at Toliver Elementary School on the same day. Both events are free and open to the public.
• Miss Tunis’ Birthday Celebration: 12:30 p.m. Thursday. The library will be celebrating the 134th birthday of Miss Tunis, who was the local librarian for 50 years. All are invited to stop by and enjoy a piece of birthday cake in her honor.
• Steel Appeal: 1 p.m. Thursday. A steel drum and percussion academy from Campbellsville, this event will be held in the library Park, weather permitting. If it rains, the event will be held in the Community Room.
• Third Thursday Book Discussion Groups: 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Thursday. The Third Thursday Morning and Afternoon Book Discussion Groups are designed for anyone interested in discussing a wide variety of books in a group setting. This month the morning discussion group will discuss “Floor of Heaven” by Howard Blum. The afternoon discussion group will discuss “Minding Frankie” by Maeve Binchy. Those interested in participating in either group may pick up a copy of the book at the circulation desk in the library.
• Teen Rock Band: 5:30 p.m. Thursday. Teens are invited to stop by the Library and rock out to classic songs with instruments on PS3. (For ages 13-18.)
• ASL Conversation Group: 6 p.m. Thursday. This monthly event is community led and provides a casual location where people can practice using ASL. All levels of ASL learners or users are encouraged to participate. For more information, contact Caleb Conover at the library.
• Celebration of Kentucky Writers: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. June 23. The library will host a “Writers Tribute” as part of the 2018 Jeanne Penn Lane Celebration of Kentucky Writers. This event will feature over 16 authors, poets, writers and journalists with a Kentucky connection, including some Kentucky Monthly magazine 2018 Literary Contest winners. Authors will be reading from original works and signing books at this free event.
In conjunction with the Writers Tribute, the library will also host the opening of the new Mahan Gallery exhibit, “The Art of Jeanne Penn Lane.” The exhibit will feature works of a variety of media created by the late Jeanne Penn Lane, including an example of a plaster technique developed by the artist in 1972. The exhibit will be on display through July.
Additional events for the 2018 Celebration of Kentucky Writers will be held on Saturday evening and on Sunday afternoon. The Kentucky Songwriters Showcase will be held on Saturday at 6:00 p.m. at Casa Grande restaurant in Harrodsburg, and a Memorial program will be held on Sunday from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. at Historic Penn’s Store in Gravel Switch.
Call the library at (859) 238-7323 visit the website at BoylePubLib.org, or stop by to inquire about the Library’s children’s, ‘tween and teen activities, and adult programs offered throughout the month. Some activities require registration for participation.