Save energy during hot summer months
Published 6:10 am Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Summer doesn’t officially begin until June 21, but sweltering temperatures are already in full effect. Because increased heat often translates into increased energy use and energy bills, Louisville Gas and Electric Company and Kentucky Utilities Company are offering five simple tips to help better manage energy use throughout the warmer season.
Email newsletter signup
• Seal up leaks: Tools like insulation, caulk and weather stripping can close gaps, helping to keep cool air in and warm air out.
• Close curtains, drapes and blinds: Closing window treatments during the hottest part of the day prevents the sun’s rays from heating your home.
• Adjust your thermostat: Turning thermostats up two degrees in the summer makes it easier for air conditioners to maintain a steady temperature in the home.
• Use a fan: Fans help spread cooled air more effectively throughout your home without having to adjust the thermostat.
• Grill out: Taking your cooking outdoors will eliminate energy drawn from using other cooking appliances, like your stove, and will keep your kitchen — and your whole house — cooler.