This week at the Boyle County Public Library
Published 6:04 am Saturday, July 7, 2018
The Boyle County Public Library offers many fun, educational events throughout the year. Weekly programs include Adult Storytime 9 a.m. Mondays, Crafters Who Care 6 p.m. Mondays and Storytimes on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. This summer also offers Baby Lapsit, Yoga for Kids, and ukulele lessons on Mondays, the Kid’s Book Club 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Kid’s Science Clubs on Thursday mornings.
In addition to these weekly events, the following library-sponsored programs are scheduled for this week:
• Lip Sync & Karaoke: 2 p.m. Monday. The library will host a Lip Sync & Karaoke party. Youth are invited to sing along with their favorite songs or challenge others to a lip sync battle. For ages 9-18.
Email newsletter signup
• Second Monday Book Discussion Group: 3 p.m. Monday. Selections include fiction and historical fiction books set in locations around the world. On Monday, the group will discuss “2 A.M at the Cat’s Pajamas” by Marie-Helene Bertino. Those interested in participating may pick up a copy of the book at the circulation desk in the library.
• Mahan Gallery Art Reception: 5-7 p.m. Monday. The Library will host a reception for “The Art of Jeanne Penn Lane” art exhibit. The exhibit, which is on display through July 16, features works of a variety of media created by the late Lane, including an example of a plaster technique developed by the artist. Light refreshments will be available.
• Living Arts & Science Center: 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. “Rockin’ Out: The Art & Science of Sound” will come to the library. Participants will experiment with a variety of hands-on discoveries, such as making water jump with a tuning fork, using sound to blow out a candle, and play a variety of instruments. They’ll also learn how music can be used as creative inspiration as they make art to the beat of various styles of music. This event will be held in the Community Room. Due to limited seating, this will be a ticketed performance. The tickets are free and will be given out 30 minutes prior to the start of the show.
• Dance Class — Beginning Ballet: 4 p.m. Thursday. The library will host a beginning ballet class in the Community Room. Led by instructor Michaela Stone, participants will learn the beginning steps of ballet. For ages 9-18.
• Coloring & Conversation: 6 p.m. Thursday. The library will host a coloring club for adults on Thursday. Many adults have rediscovered the joys of coloring as a way to relax and combat stress. The club, which is done in partnership with the Boyle County Cooperative Extension office, meets on the second Thursday of the month in the Mahan Gallery.
• Musical Movie Night: 7 p.m. Thursday. As part of the Summer Reading Program, on select Thursdays the library will host musical movie nights featuring popular musicals. On Thursday, the library will show a film from 1968 about an eccentric inventor who turns a broken down car into a fancy vehicle to go off on a magical fantasy adventure with his children. (Rated G; 144 minutes)
• Blue Groove Jazz Performance: 7 p.m. Friday. The library will continue with its summer music series on Friday when they host Blue Groove Jazz, a classic jazz ensemble from Central Kentucky. This free event will be held in the Library Park. Those planning to attend should bring a lawn chair to enjoy the show. (In the event of rain, the performance will be held in the Library Lobby.)
• Upcycle Your Photographic Slides: 2 p.m. July 14. As part of the Memory Lab program series, the library will offer an opportunity to upcycle old photographic slides. Participants will bring their old photographic slides, sort through their collections, and find the slides they want to keep. The remaining slides will be upcycled to make crafts such as mobiles, slide curtains, and lampshades. Call the library to register for this event.
Call the library at (859)-238-7323, visit the website at www.BoylePubLib.org or stop by to inquire about the Library’s children’s, ‘tween and teen activities, and adult programs offered throughout the month. Some activities require registration for participation.