This week at the Boyle County Public Library , August 11-12
Published 6:36 am Saturday, August 11, 2018
The Boyle County Public Library offers many fun, educational events throughout the year. Weekly programs include Adult Storytime 9 a.m. Mondays, Crafters Who Care 6 p.m. Mondays, and Storytimes on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. In addition to these weekly events, the following library-sponsored programs are scheduled for this week:
• Second Monday Book Discussion Group: 3 p.m. Monday the second of the month in the Mahan House at the library. Selections include fiction and historical fiction books set in locations around the world. On Monday, the group will discuss “Little Bee” by Chris Cleave. Those interested in participating may pick up a copy of the book at the circulation desk in the library.
• Family Game Night: 4-7 p.m. Monday. All ages are welcome to stop by and play a wide variety of board games, including both classic games (Monopoly, Pictionary and Clue) and newer games (Apples to Apples, Telestrations and Yeti in My Spaghetti). Pizza will be available. This event will be held in the community room.
Email newsletter signup
• Storytimes Resume: Toddler and Preschool Storytimes will resume at the Library on Tuesday after a two-week hiatus. Toddler Storytime (for children ages 18 months-2 years old, with a parent or caregiver) will be held 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays. Preschool Storytime (for children 3-5) will be held 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays. These storytime programs are held in the Children’s Library and feature stories, songs, rhymes, and puppets.
• Third Thursday Book Discussion Groups: 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Thursday. These groups are designed for anyone interested in discussing a wide variety of books in a group setting.
This month, the morning group will discuss “Hidden Figures” by Margot Lee Shetterly. The afternoon group will discuss “Skipping Christmas” by John Grisham. Those interested in participating in either group may pick up a copy of the book at the circulation desk.
• Rock Painting: 5:30 p.m. Thursday. Patrons of all ages can design and paint rocks to spread messages of kindness. Rocks will be provided or participants can bring their own. This event will be held in the Community Room.
• ASL Conversation Group: 6 p.m. Thursday. The American Sign Language Conversation Group is a monthly event that is community led and provides a casual location where people can practice using ASL. All levels of ASL learners or users are encouraged to participate. For more information, contact Caleb Conover at the library.
• Memory Lab Craft — Weaving & Mosaic = Analog & Digital: 10 a.m. Aug. 17. A Memory Lab program that will teach patrons the difference between analog and digital wave formats with the arts. Participants will pick sound wave patterns to weave into textiles and mosaic stepping stones that they can take home. Those interested in attending should call or stop by the library to register.
Call the library at (859) 238-7323, visit the website at www.BoylePubLib.org, or stop by to inquire about the library’s children’s, ‘tween and teen activities, and adult programs offered throughout the month. Some activities require registration for participation.