James AME Church recognized for historic preservation
The Boyle Landmark Trust recently presented Pastor Ralph Smith and members of the congregation at Saint James AME Church a historical plaque for their efforts in historical preservation. Located at 124 East Walnut Street, Saint James AME Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Completed in 1882 in the Gothic Revival style, alterations through 1922, including the loss of a bell tower, largely changed the style of the structure to one characterized as Colonial Revival.
Jacob Pankey, chair of the Boyle Landmark Trust, along with board members, George Coomer, Barbara Hulette, Susan Jonas, Betty White and Stephanie Griffin presented the plaque.
The program recognized the property as being at least 100 years old; there is recorded and documented history of the property; and, Saint James AME’s support of architectural historic preservation within Boyle County.
The Boyle Landmark Trust, which was founded in 1971, works to assure that architectural history is respected, protected, and preserved for future generations.