This week at the Boyle County Public Library, October 6
Published 6:47 am Saturday, October 6, 2018
The Boyle County Public Library offers many fun, educational events for all ages. The Science in Play 2Go exhibit is currently on display in the Children’s Library. Weekly programs include Adult Storytime 9 a.m. Mondays, Coding Classes 4 p.m. Mondays, Adult Education Classes 5 p.m. Mondays, Crafters Who Care 6 p.m. Mondays, and Storytimes on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. In addition to these weekly events, the following library-sponsored programs are scheduled for this week:
• Mr. Molecule: 11 a.m. Monday. Guests will see science come alive when Mr. Molecule unleashes the power and excitement of science, creating an explosion of learning all based on core science principles. The “Bing, Bang, Boom!” science show is a new way for kids to discover science and excite their curiosity about the wonder-filled world we live in. This is a free, ticketed event. Tickets will be given out 30 minutes before the start of the show.
• Second Monday Book Discussion Group: 3 p.m. Monday. The group meets on the second Monday of the month in the Mahan House at the library. Selections include fiction and historical fiction books set in locations around the world. On Monday, the group will discuss “Traveling with Pomegranates” by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor. Those interested in participating may pick up a copy of the book at the circulation desk in the Library.
Email newsletter signup
• Frankentoys: 4 p.m. Monday. Tweens are invited to a program where they can sew old toy parts together to create something new and unique. For ages 9-13.
• Medicare Defined: 6:30 p.m. Monday. Presented by Richard Manarchy, this interactive and educational seminar will cover the basics of Medicare.
• SIP2GO After-Hours: 6-8 p.m. Tuesday. Ages 10-18 are invited to play in the Science in Play 2Go exhibit after regular Library hours. Registration is required in the Children’s Library.
• Spooky Movie Night: 5:30 p.m. Thursday. Snacks will be served at this showing of a classic Halloween tale about three diabolical witches brought back to life. (Rated PG; 96 minutes)
• Coloring & Conversation: 6 p.m. Thursday. A coloring club for adults; many have rediscovered the joys of coloring as a way to relax and combat stress. The club, which is done in partnership with the Boyle County Cooperative Extension office, meets on the second Thursday of the month in the Mahan Gallery.
• Fall Film Series: Comedies (week 3): 7 p.m. Thursday. The Friends of the Library continue with their annual Fall Film Series. Films will be shown at the Library on select Thursday evenings in the Community Room through mid-November. The films will be introduced each evening by Charles Vahlkamp, professor emeritus at Centre College. There is no charge for admission, and free popcorn will be available. In this 1944 film, on the day of his wedding, a drama critic learns that his maiden aunts are homicidal maniacs and that insanity runs in his family.
• Monster Cookie Decorating: 4 p.m. Friday. Teens are invited to decorate monster-themed cookies with icing and candy, then check out some of the best monster books available. For ages 13-18.
• Chess Club: 2-4 p.m. Oct. 13. All ages and skill levels are welcome to come play (or learn how to play) the game of chess. This event will be held in the Community Room.
Call the library at (859) 238-7323, visit the website at BoylePubLib.org, or stop by to inquire about children’s, ‘tween and teen activities and adult programs offered throughout the month. Some activities require registration for participation.