Danville man injured in apartment fire
A Danville man sustained serious injuries in a fire at his home early Wednesday morning and was flown to a Louisville hospital for further care.
At about 2:40 a.m., a caller said smoke was coming from a second floor apartment at 1021 Nokomis St.
As firefighters arrived, neighbors told told them that a man may still be inside the apartment, according to Fire Marshal Doug Simpson.
When firefighters entered the upstairs apartment they located a small fire in the bedroom and rescued the occupant who was lying in the floor. He was taken outside where he received emergency treatment for burns and smoke inhalation before being flown to Louisville, Simpson said. His name has not been released.
The fire was contained to the bedroom, but the entire apartment sustained smoke damage, Simpson said. The six-unit apartment building was evacuated and the fire was put out within a few minutes after firefighters arrived.
Only one other unit sustained minor damage and there were no other injuries. The building is owned by Mark Dexter and Dexter Realty, Simpson said.
Members of the Kentucky School for the Deaf Signing Choir and Danville High School students in American Sign Language classes... read more