Boyle Schools 19-20 calendar approved
The Boyle County Board of Education approved its 2019-20 school calendar Thursday night.
The first day of school will be Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019. Fall break will be the second week of October — Oct. 7-11, 2019. Winter break will be Dec. 20, 2019 to Jan. 3, 2020, but a weekend and staff development day means students won’t be back until Jan. 7. Spring break will be April 6-10, 2020. The last day of school, depending on any weather days, would be May 20, 2020.
Superintendent Mike LaFavers said the calendar allows for the possibility of up to seven weather days during the school year without bumping the last day of school into June. The calendar was developed by a 10-percent committee, “comprised of parents, teachers, staff, administrators and local tourism and business officials,” according to a news release from the school district.
The school board voted quickly and unanimously Thursday night to approve the recommended calendar without any further changes. The calendar complies with state regulations that students get at least 1,062 hours of instruction and at least 170 attendance days.
The full school calendar can be viewed online at bit.ly/BCS19-20. Other notable dates include:
• Aug. 12, 2019 — Opening Day for staff only
• Sept. 2, 2019 — Labor Day; no school
• Nov. 4, 2019 — Staff development day; no school
• Nov. 27-29, 2019 — Thanksgiving break
• Jan. 6, 2020 — Staff development day; no school
• Jan. 20, 2020 — Martin Luther King Jr. Day; no school
• Feb. 17, 2020 — Presidents Day; no school
• March 9, 2020 — Staff development day; no school
• May 21, 2020 — Closing day for staff only (pending any weather days)
The Isaiah House Treatment Center, based in Willisburg, will be opening a Danville facility in March to help men and... read more