From our files, March 30
100 YEARS AGO — 1919
The Masonic Hall Association of Danville has purchased from M. J. Farris, the first and second floors of the Masonic building at 111-115 South Third Street at a cost of $10,500. The Masons have for several years owned the third and fourth floors of this building, and they have now acquired the entire building, making them a modern and ideal home. The Masonic bodies of Danville were never more flourishing than now and they are to be congratulated for their success. J.R. Haselden of Lancaster, has been elected Eminent Commander of Ryan Commandery No. 17, Knights Templar.
Mrs. S.H. Dobyns of Danville claims to be one of the pioneers of the country in the cause of woman’s suffrage. While attending a convention of the National Woman’s Suffrage Association in New York in 1872 she obtained the autographs of Miss Susan B. Anthony, president of the National Association at that time, and also of Mrs. Elizabeth Cady Stanton of New York, which fact is enough evidence to show that Mrs. Dobyns is not a new convert to the belief in the cause.
Anthony Gingerich, the famous Italian shoe maker of Lexington, has come to Danville and accepted the position of head mechanic in the Parks and Hendren Shoe Hospital. Gengerich is an experienced workman, he can make any kind of shoes from men’s brogans to the finest ladies’ shoes. For now, however, his work in Danville will be confined to shoe repairing.
In Harrodsburg, two ladies were attending the picture show and had a most unpleasant experience. Two old men were sitting behind them and chewing tobacco assiduously. They emptied their mouths of the accumulated juices at such regular and frequent intervals that a stream of the filthy spit soon was running beneath the ladies’ skirts. In a short time a pool of the nasty stuff had gathered about their feet and soaked their dresses. We can find no words to express our detestation of such men and are tempted to print their names so that other ladies may give them a wide berth when they see them at the picture show.
75 YEARS AGO — 1944
Two hundred people are wanted to contribute an extra $10 to the 1944 Red Cross War Fund campaign of Boyle County. An additional $2,000 is needed at once so that the county can reach its assigned quota of $20,700.
April 6 has been designated for the Danville City Schools to collect clothing for Russian Relief. Professor H.A. Cocanougher, general chairman of the campaign of pupils to collect warm clothing from their families and friends said the garments are to be shared with our war depleted allies. Each child is asked to bring in five pounds of clothing. Residents in Danville and Boyle County who don’t have children in the school system can contribute war apparel by calling the schools or sending it with children in their neighborhoods.
A community Sunrise Service will be held at 6 a.m. Easter Sunday at Farris Stadium at Centre College. The Rev. Wayne Todd, pastor of First Baptist Church of Danville will preach the sermon. Special music will be presented by air crew students of the training detachment. Members of all churches are invited. In the event of rain, the service will be held in the auditorium of First Christian Church.
50 YEARS AGO — 1969
A comprehensive study of the health needs of area residents served by Ephraim McDowell Memorial Hospital is being undertaken by the Department of Hospital Administration of the School of Medicine at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. The goal will be to explore the present facilities for and the future needs of area residents. The board of trustees is working with the research group because it has the intention of putting into operation the idea of constructing a regional health complex to fill the needs of the surrounding communities.
Pursuant to President Richard Nixon’s designation of March 31, 1969 as a National Day of Mourning following the death on Friday of former President Dwight D. Eisenhower, Boyle County Judge Gilbert White announced that the Boyle County Courthouse will be closed all day. The Danville Post Office and Danville City Hall will also be closed.
The Executive Committee of the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) unanimously voted to expand to insure the widest possible representation for all segments of the community. The CAC, formed Sept. 19, 1967, is the “voice” of the community in the planning of programs which by law, will require passage by the Common Council. Because the object of Danville’s Model Cities Program is developing a comprehensive plan for Danville’s continued orderly growth, more citizens will have to be included on the CAC.
25 YEARS AGO — 1994
The greenhouse at Kentucky School for the Deaf has become so green, horticulture teacher Kathy Wilson doesn’t know where to put all of the plants. Students were cautioned to not step on the greenhouse’s gravel floor as they tried to find space for all geraniums, marigolds, buttercups and petunias. Soon the students will plant the flowers in beds around KSD campus. The students have learned about landscape design and planned the campus gardens themselves.
Firefighters spring cleaning and hosing off the viaduct slowed traffic from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. which upset many drivers. The Danville dispatchers and city hall were swamped with calls objecting to the timing of the cleaning. The mayor’s office and the Department of Public Safety were also flooded with calls from angry motorists. Public safety director Donald Harp said he had instructed firefighters to start the bridge washing after 2 p.m. “There was a slip-up. A firefighter supervisor just decided to start earlier than he was told to,” Harp said.
St. Mildred’s Court residents went to Boyle Circuit Court to stop Centre College from using two houses on their street as student housing. The issue is a duplex and quadruplex where Centre has placed students because its enrollment last fall exceeded its dormitory capacity. The residents claim it violates the county’s zoning ordinances.