Fire department to begin testing fire hydrants
Published 9:03 pm Wednesday, September 11, 2019
The Danville Fire Department will begin its fall hydrant flushing and testing on Tuesday, Sept. 17. Hydrant flushing and testing is done to ensure that all city-owned hydrants and water lines are operating properly and will be usable during a fire emergency, said DFD Chief Ken Pflug.
Email newsletter signup
Signs will be posted in each area before flushing begins. Flushing will be done between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m.
Hydrant flushing may cause discoloration of the household water in or near the areas being tested, which is a result of iron deposits being disturbed during the flushing process. Iron deposits can build up inside pressure tanks, water heaters and water pipes. It occasionally breaks loose, causing rusty water when faucets are first opened. This happens especially when city or household water lines are disturbed (e.g. moved, replaced, back flushed, or repaired) and rust breaks loose from old pipes.
Customers are advised to check their water for signs of discoloration prior to doing laundry. If you notice discoloration in the water, let it run until it clears before doing laundry. This usually takes less than five minutes. If laundry appears stained, keep the articles wet and rewash them using a rust-removing compound. Do not use bleach on stained laundry, as it will “set” the stain.
Listed is the tentative schedule. Streets include adjacent areas and roadways. Rain and emergencies may delay testing:
• Tuesday, Sept. 17 — Green Acres, Candlewood, Danville High School areas
• Wednesday, Sept.18 — East Main Street, Hill’n Dale area
• Thursday, Sept. 19 — Indian Hills, Lexington Road and Goggin Lane and Grabruck areas
• Friday, Sept. 2 — Shakertown Road area throught North Sixth Street
• Monday, Sept. 23 — Streamland, Colonial Heights and Brookcove subdivisions
• Wednesday, Sept. 25 — Maple Avenue area, Argyll subdivision, Hardee Street area and Caldwell Manor
• Thursday, Sept. 26 — West Danville, Boyle County High School area and Millennium Park
• Friday, Sept. 27 — Ben Ali area, Danville Square and Bluegrass subdivision and Bluegrass Pike
• Monday, Sept. 30 — South Fourth Street, Kentucky School for the Deaf area, stockyards area and J.E. Woods Drive
• Tuesday, Oct. 1 — Stanford Road area
• Wednesday, Oct. 2 — Highland Court, Duncan Hill, Baughman Avenue and Imperial Trailer Park
• Thursday, Oct. 3 — Cloverdale, Ridgefield and Paula Heights subdivisions
• Friday, Oct. 4 — Lincoln, Jefferson, Madison, Lisa avenue areas and Brookshire subdivision
• Monday, Oct. 7 — South Danville bypass area, Walton Avenue, May Blvd. and Popplewell Lane
• Tuesday, Oct. 8 — Stewarts Lane, Lebanon Road., Industrial Park and Corporate Drive areas
For more information contact Danville Fire Department at (859) 238-1211.