Weekender, Nov. 7
Published 4:38 pm Wednesday, November 6, 2019
Events for this column must be submitted to the Advocate by noon on Monday to be in the Thursday newspaper. Send events (must include complete information: hours, admission price, contact for info, etc.) to bit.ly/amevents. Events may also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shane White, 7 p.m. Friday at The Still, 522 Techwood Dr., Danville. Bruce Lewis, 7 p.m. Nov. 16. Info: thestillky.com
- Prototype, 7-10 p.m. Saturday at Tut’s Restaurant, 415 W. Main St, Danville. Band is infusion of R&B, soul and classic rock.
- Perryville Jamboree, 5:30-10 p.m. Saturdays at 103 N. Bragg St. Dinner starts at 5:30 p.m. and is served until 7 p.m. Entertainment by Kentucky South with guest performers. Cover is $10. Info: (859) 583-9780
- Live music at Mae Johnson’s White Barn, 8 p.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday, Waynesburg. Cost is $5. Pool room opens at 7 p.m. Every Saturday, a door prize will be awarded for tickets drawn for a $100 prize. Information: (606) 365-3417
- Acoustic jam/amplified jam, 7-9:30 p.m. second and fourth Tuesdays every month. Jam sessions are being held at the Masonic Lodge at North Fourth and Smith streets. Info: John Hughes, (859) 583-4112
- Pickers and grinners open jam session, 10:15 a.m.-noon Saturdays at Kentucky Fudge Company, 225 South Main St., Harrodsburg. Bring instrument and sing along with us. Info: (859) 733-0088
- Fredia’s Country Music, 7-10 p.m. Saturdays at 4221 Dry Ridge Road, Liberty. Cost is $6 at the door. A new band plays every weekend, family-friendly environment. Info: (606) 706-8596
- Karaoke, 7:30 p.m.-midnight Friday at Garden Club, Junction City. Cover is $10. Info: (859) 583-1100
- “Bad Dates,” Thursday-Sunday at Caldwell House, 2011 N. Maple Ave, Danville. Scarlet Theatre’s presentation of an award-winning play by Theresa Rebeck, a comic look at the risky world of dating while actually holding a job. On opening night, audience members are invited to tour the house and a reception will be offered with desserts and mocktails. Seating in the double parlor is limited. Showtimes are 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday. Tickets: danvillearts.org, (859) 319-1204.
- “The Common Man,” a one-night only performance of readings and music from Maurice Manning’s book, 8 p.m.Saturday at WTH, Danville. Featuring the Falcon Theatre out of Newport, Ky. Manning is a former performer with WTH from his younger years, and was a runner-up to the Pulitzer Prize in poetry. Tickets: westthill.com, (859) 319-0205
Email newsletter signup
OUT AND ABOUT
- Harvey’s Trivia Night, 7 p.m. Mondays at Harvey’s, 120 S. Fourth St., Danville. Hosted by Mike Archer, cost is $20 per team for up to six members. Gift cards and T-shirts awarded to the top three winners, as well as other goodies that vary weekly.
- Jane’s Authentic Cocktail Society, 5 p.m. Thursdays at Jane Barleycorns, 130 S. Fourth St. A new craft cocktail featured every week using premium spirits and other ingredients. Info: exploretock.com/janebarleycorn, (859) 324-5036
- Trivia Night, 7 p.m. Thursdays at The Still, Danville, for Family Feud-style trivia. Different topics each Thursday.
- Murder Mystery Dinner, 7:30 p.m. Nov. 14 at The Still, Danville. Tickets: adventuretheatreky.com
- Taste of the Trace, benefit for CASA of the Bluegrass, Friday at Buffalo Trace Distillery, 113 Great Buffalo Trace, Frankfort. Inaugural event featuring food, libations, live music and interactive axe-throwing. Distillery will also offer VIP tours. Tickets are on sale now; all proceeds benefit abused and neglected children in Central Kentucky through CASA of the Bluegrass. Tickets: casaofthebluegrass.org.
- Kids Art and Yoga, 10:30 a.m.-noon Saturdays, Nov. 9-Dec.7 at ACB, Danville. Connect mind and body with creative movement and visual arts. Cost is $60. Info: artcenterky.org
- Adult Education GED Class. 5 p.m. Mondays at BCPL, Danville. Earn your GED for free. Offered by the Boyle County Adult Education GED Program. Info: (606) 922-6819
- Adult Ed/GED, 9 a.m.-noon Monday-Thursday at The Presbyterian Church of Danville, 500 W. Main St. Free program offered to help obtain GED. Enrollment in an online GED Prep program is also available at no cost. Info: (606) 922-6819
- Body Recall, 9-9:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday at First Christian Church Disciple of Christ, 555 E. Lexington Ave., Danville. Classes help regain strength, mobility and flexibility, aid in everyday living. Fee is $6 a week. Info: Carolyn Walter, (859) 548-8203, 236-4006
- Tai Chi, 2 p.m. Wednesdays at A Gathering Place, 569 Jean Drive. Open to all senior citizens in the area. Info: (859) 236-2070
- Yoga for senior citizens, 10 a.m. Thursdays at A Gathering Place-Danville-Boyle County Senior Citizens Inc., 569 Jean Drive. Led by Francine N. Southerland, a certified yoga instructor. Open to all senior citizens in the area. Info: (859) 236-2070
- Investing in the Late Innings of the Bull Market, 6:30 p.m. Nov. 14 at LCPL, Stanford. Presented by Brian Duncan with Edward Jones will examine the economic outlook in the late innings of the bull market; risks and opportunities. Register by Nov. 12. Info: (606) 365-7513
- Hemp & CBD in Kentucky, 6 p.m. Nov. 21 at LCPL, Stanford. Learn about how it works, organic growing methods, etc. in class presented by Kentucky Green Grass. Info: (606) 365-7513
- Violin, piano, ukulele and voice instruction by Amanda Sivers. Info: (859) 319-3806, amandasivers.com
- Piano and voice instruction, en Inglés o Español by Richard Ferreira, Danville. Info: (859) 329-7814
- Guitar instruction by Jeff Cain, at CAC, Danville. Info: email@example.com, (606) 669-3040
- Teen Dungeons & Dragons Club, 4 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. Enjoy a role-playing game in a social group setting. Create fantastic characters and take them through stories, battles, and challenges. Refreshments and gaming supplies provided. New players are welcome. For ages 13-18.
- Kids Book Club, 4 p.m. Tuesday at BCPL, Danville. Read a different Geronimo Stilton book each week. Discuss the books, participate in trivia, and enjoy snacks. Registration is required. For ages 5-8.
- Open Coding Club, 4 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. Learn to code at the Library at this self-paced class. No experience required. For all students in grades 6-12. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
- Classic Games Club, 2-4 p.m. Nov. 16 at BCPL, Danville. Play Chess, Scrabble, Checkers, Cards, Yahtzee, and more at the Library. Play to meet new faces, or practice your strategy with old friends. Open to all ages and skill levels.
- Wilderness Road Amateur Radio Club, 7:30 p.m. the fourth Tuesday of every month at American Legion Post 46, 45 Spears Lane, Danville. Info: wrarc.com
- Mystery Book Club, 1 p.m. second Wednesday of each month at GCPL, 101 Lexington St., Lancaster. Stop by the library to pick book up at circulation desk. Info: (859) 792-3424
- Happy Scrappers Scrapbook Club, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. third Saturday of the month in Community Room 2 at LCPL, Stanford. New participants are welcome.
AND MORE ….
- Beyblades Battle, 4:30 p.m. today (Thursday Nov. 7) at BCPL, Danville. Play with others in a beyblade battle. Personal beyblades are welcome. The library will provide some beyblades and the arena. All youth ages are welcome.
- Eric Lee: Tribute to Valor and Courage, 7 p.m. tonight (Thursday, Nov. 7) at BCPL, Danville. Eric “Rick” Lee has chronicled many of the prolific stories of America’s Greatest Generation in his book, “Tribute to Valor and Courage.” He will discuss some of the stories shared with him by veterans, including new stories featured in his latest book, “Legacies of Valor and Courage.” Sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
- Friends of the Library Fall Book Sale, 1 p.m. today through 3 p.m. Saturday (during regular business hours) at BCPL, Danville. Pick up some treasures for your own collection.
- Life-Sized Board Games, 1-4 p.m. Saturday at BCPL, Danville. Celebrate International Board Games Week by playing giant versions of classic board games, including Connect Four, Battleship, Jenga, Scrabble, and Kerplunk. For youth and families.
- DIY Instruments, 4:30 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. Celebrate Music Month by making instruments from everyday objects, including box guitars, craft stick kazoos, and more. For ages 9-13.
- NaNoWriMo Write-In for Adults, 4-5:30 p.m. Tuesday at BCPL, Danville. Budding authors are invited to stop by and focus their creativity while they work on their novel. Snacks, supplies, and writing prompts provided.
- Super Smash Bros, 4-7 p.m. Nov. 14 at BCPL, Danville. Tournament for teens. Eat pizza, hang out, and defend your title in an epic video game tournament. For ages 13-18.
- STEAM Lab: Circuits, 4:30 p.m. Nov. 14 at BCPL, Danville. Build and experiment with snap circuits and squishy circuits. For ages 9-13.
- Youth NaNoWriMo Write-In, 3:30-5 p.m. Wednesdays at BCPL, Danville. Youth (ages 9-18) are invited to come in to the library to work on their novel or get feedback from other writers. (
- FAFSA Workshop, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Nov. 16 at BCPL, Danville. Use the library’s computer lab to fill out the free application for college financial aid. Drop in any time to get to work. Check our website for a list of documents to bring with you.
- NaNoWriMo Write-In, 3:30-5 p;.m. Wednesdays at BCPL, Danville. Youth (ages 9-18) are invited to come in to the library to work on their novel or get feedback from other writers.
- Homework Help, 3:30-5 p.m. Wednesdays at BCPL, Danville. All school ages can work on homework at the library. Librarians will be there to help with any questions. Laptops with access to tutor.com will be available to use. Snacks will be provided. (BCPL Storytime Room)
- Exploration Station-Candy Science, 5 p.m. Tuesday at Lincoln County Public Library (LCPL), Stanford. Participants will be using Halloween Candy to do science experiments. Density, diffusion, reactions, etc. will be explored.
- Crafters Who Care, 6 p.m. Mondays. Knit and crochet hats and scarves for those in need. No experience necessary.
- Zentangle and adult coloring, 10 a.m.-noon and 6-8 p.m. every third Thursday of the month at LCPL, Stanford. Create new Zentangle projects or relax with adult coloring. Registration required.
- Adult Storytime, 9 a.m. Mondays at BCPL, Danville. A weekly social hour and book club for individuals with and without disabilities to utilize the library and pursue common interests together.
- Boyle County Public Library Storytimes: Toddler, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday; Preschool, 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays for children 3-5. Special Preschool storytime 10:30 a.m. Nov. 8 for ages 3-5.
- Garrard County Public Library Storytimes: 10 a.m. Wednesdays and 1 p.m. Thursdays. No storytime if special programs held at same time. Info: (859) 792-3424
- Lincoln County Public Library Storytimes: Toddler Tales, 10 a.m. Thursdays; Preschool, 11 a.m. Thursdays. Info: lcplinfo.org., (606) 365-7513
- Ceramic Creations by Jaque, 535 S. Fourth St., Danville. A paint-your-own pottery studio, open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Cost is $10 and up. Info: (859) 236-7288
- McDowell House Museum and Apothecary Shop, 125 S. Second St., Danville. A National Historic Landmark offering tours through Dr. Ephraim McDowell’s home. The Gift Shop at Constitution Square, 134 S. Second St., Danville, sells Kentucky-made items. Info: (859) 236-2804 for museum; 236-2803 for gift shop
- The Great American Dollhouse Museum, 344 Swope Dr., Danville. Hours are 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. Info: (859) 583-8000, thedollhousemuseum.com
- Little Paws Piano and Music Studio, 475 West Main St., Danville. Classes like Kindermusik; private instruction available. Info: (859) 319-1066
- Opening Act Studio, at Hometown Kids, 440 W. 4th St., Perryville. Theater and performance taught by Emma Steberl; limited scholarships available. Info: (859) 319-6821.