Fire destroys home in Boyle Thursday night 

Published 6:09 pm Friday, December 6, 2019

A Boyle County family was safe, but their modular home was destroyed following a structure fire on Thursday evening.

Shortly after 7 p.m., a fire was reported at 2075 Harberson Lane, said Boyle County Fire Department Assistant Chief Jimmy Coffman. He said firefighters were able to quickly answer the call because they were already returning from an illegal fire on White Oak Road.

“We got a quick jump on the fire,” however the home quickly was consumed, Coffman said. “The entire home is unlivable.”

Email newsletter signup

The mother, Ashley Scott, got her four children, ages nine months to six years, out of the home before the fire got out of control, said Boyle Emergency Management Services Director Mike Wilder.

The fire is thought to have started in the kitchen. Wilder said they believe the dad, Chad Pinkston, had lost track of time while cooking something on the stove, and thought he had turned down the temperature before quickly leaving to pick up a prescription for one of the children before the drugstore closed, Wilder said. 

The only thing that firefighters were able to save were the family’s Christmas presents and some clothing, Coffman said.

About 25 firefighters and four engines were on the scene for about two hours, Coffman said. “They did an awesome job.”

The children went to stay with a grandparent for the night, and the Red Cross provided housing for the parents, Wilder said. They were also given vouchers to purchase clothing.