Weekender, Jan. 2, 2020
New Year New Art Opening Reception
Friday, January 3 | 5:30pm to 7:00pm
Free and open to the public
Start the new year off with art at the opening reception for the new exhibit at the Art Center of the Bluegrass. The New Year New Art features all-new artwork by forty-four artists from throughout the region. From paintings to glass art to quilts, the only requirements for the exhibit is that all work must have been created since August of 2019, providing a sneak peek of artistic trends for the coming year. The exhibit will be on display through February 21st.
Events for this column must be submitted to the Advocate by noon on Monday to be in the Thursday newspaper. Send events (must include complete information: hours, admission price, contact for info, etc.) to bit.ly/amevents. Events may also be emailed to email@example.com.
- One Shot Johnny, Dec. 31 at Tut’s restaurant, 415 W. Main St. Special New Year’s Eve party with live music. Cost is $15/person or $25/couple, includes drink and party food. Call for reservations: (859) 583-4321.
- Perryville Jamboree, 5:30-10 p.m. Saturdays at 103 N. Bragg St. Dinner starts at 5:30 p.m. and is served until 7 p.m. Entertainment by Kentucky South with guest performers. Cover is $10. Info: (859) 583-9780
- Live music at Mae Johnson’s White Barn, 8 p.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday, Waynesburg. Cost is $5. Pool room opens at 7 p.m. Every Saturday, a door prize will be awarded for tickets drawn for a $100 prize. Information: (606) 365-3417
- Acoustic jam/amplified jam, 7-9:30 p.m. second and fourth Tuesdays every month. Jam sessions are being held at the Masonic Lodge at North Fourth and Smith streets. Info: John Hughes, (859) 583-4112
- Pickers and grinners open jam session, 10:15 a.m.-noon Saturdays at Kentucky Fudge Company, 225 South Main St., Harrodsburg. Bring instrument and sing along with us. Info: (859) 733-0088
- Fredia’s Country Music, 7-10 p.m. Saturdays at 4221 Dry Ridge Road, Liberty. Cost is $6 at the door. A new band plays every weekend, family-friendly environment. Info: (606) 706-8596
- Karaoke, 7:30 p.m.-midnight Friday at Garden Club, Junction City. Cover is $10. Info: (859) 583-1100
- Auditions for Arthur Miller’s “Death of a Salesman,” Monday and Tuesday at WTH, Danville. The 1949 winner of the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award for best play, this story revolves around the last days of Willy Loman, a failing salesman who cannot understand how he has failed at success and happiness. His tragic soul-searching revelation is played out on stage. Open auditions will be 3-5 p.m. Jan. 5. Auditions by appointment will be 5:30-8:30 p.m. Jan. 5-6. Roles are available for 11 men and four women. Actors are asked to bring a prepared two-minute segment or read a selection from the script. For appointments or info, contact director Greg Hancock, firstname.lastname@example.org.
OUT AND ABOUT
- Wilderness Trail Distillery First Friday, 6-9 p.m. Jan. 3 with free music by Kings of Freon (Pat Morley, Keith Hubbard and Sherrie McGee), food by The Caterer and cocktails for sale. Info: wildernesstrailky.com, (859) 402-8707
- Harvey’s Trivia Night, 7 p.m. Mondays at Harvey’s, 120 S. Fourth St., Danville. Hosted by Mike Archer, cost is $20 per team for up to six members. Gift cards and T-shirts awarded to the top three winners, as well as other goodies that vary weekly.
- Mosaics 101, 1-4 p.m. Jan. 11 at Art Center of the Bluegrass (ACB), 401 W. Main St., Danville. Explore the ancient art of mosaics with modern twist. Students will use glass tiles in a variety of shapes to create their own original wall art, working on an 8″ x 10″ wooden backing. Cost is $45. Register: www.artcenterky.org
- Memories Worth Remembering II Writing Workshop, 2 p.m. Jan. 11 at BCPL, Danville. Aspiring writers will have the opportunity to participate once again. This four-part series, led by local author Paul Stansbury, will offer an opportunity to discuss ideas, receive feedback, and learn how to write about one’s recollections.
- Mini Masters: Art Local, 4-5 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 15-Feb. 5 at ACB, Danville. For grades K-3, a four-week session, using inspiration from the New Year New Art exhibit for students to study work of local masters to create their own original work. Visits from artists-in-residence Sarah Wiltsee, Katherine Updegraff-White and David Farmer. Cost is $40. Info: www.artcenterky.org
- Adult Education GED Class. 5 p.m. Mondays at BCPL, Danville. Earn your GED for free. Offered by the Boyle County Adult Education GED Program. Info: (606) 922-6819
- Crafting for Keeps: Handmade Soap, 6 p.m. Jan. 9 at BCPL, Danville. Learn how to make fragrant, colorful, lye-free soap at this fun workshop. For ages 18 and up. Registration required.
- Adult Ed/GED, 9 a.m.-noon Monday-Thursday at The Presbyterian Church of Danville, 500 W. Main St. Free program offered to help obtain GED. Enrollment in an online GED Prep program is also available at no cost. Info: (606) 922-6819
- Body Recall, 9-9:45 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday at First Christian Church Disciple of Christ, 555 E. Lexington Ave., Danville. Classes help regain strength, mobility and flexibility, aid in everyday living. Fee is $6 a week. Info: Carolyn Walter, (859) 548-8203, 236-4006
- Tai Chi, 2 p.m. Wednesdays at A Gathering Place, 569 Jean Drive. Open to all senior citizens in the area. Info: (859) 236-2070
- Yoga for senior citizens, 10 a.m. Thursdays at A Gathering Place-Danville-Boyle County Senior Citizens Inc., 569 Jean Drive. Led by Francine N. Southerland, a certified yoga instructor. Open to all senior citizens in the area. Info: (859) 236-2070
- Violin, piano, ukulele and voice instruction by Amanda Sivers. Info: (859) 319-3806, amandasivers.com
- Piano and voice instruction, en Inglés o Español by Richard Ferreira, Danville. Info: (859) 329-7814
- Guitar instruction by Jeff Cain, at CAC, Danville. Info: email@example.com, (606) 669-3040
- Open Coding Club, 4 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. Learn to code at the library at this self-paced class. No experience required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register. For all students in grades 6-12. (BCPL Computer Lab)
- LEGO club, 4 p.m. Jan. 10 at BCPL, Danville. Build your own unique creation with everyone’s favorite building blocks.
- Wilderness Road Amateur Radio Club, 7:30 p.m. the fourth Tuesday of every month at American Legion Post 46, 45 Spears Lane, Danville. Info: wrarc.com
- Mystery Book Club, 1 p.m. second Wednesday of each month at GCPL, 101 Lexington St., Lancaster. Book available at circulation desk. Info: (859) 792-3424
- Happy Scrappers Scrapbook Club, 10 a.m.-2:30 p.m. third Saturday of the month in Community Room 2 at LCPL, Stanford. New participants are welcome.
AND MORE ….
- Beyblades Battle, 4:30 p.m. today (Thursday, Jan. 2) at BCPL, Danville. Play with others in a beyblade battle. Personal beyblades are welcome. The library will provide some beyblades and the arena. All youth ages are welcome. (BCPL Community Room)
- Welcome to the Roaring ‘20s, 6 p.m. tonight (Thursday, Jan. 2) at BCPL, Danville Enjoy a fun night of music, poetry, and dancing. World-renowned trumpet player Vince DiMartino and friends will play music of the era, J.H. Atkins will share poetry readings, and Wes Bratcher will teach a few dance numbers. Enjoy tasty treats and assorted mocktails at this special event. All ages are welcome.
- Saturday Afternoon Cartoons, 2-4 p.m. Saturday at BCPL, Danville. Watch Christmas-themed classic cartoons that feature Mickey Mouse, Rudolph, and Santa Claus. Cereal and fruit provided for snacks. All ages welcome.
- Family Game Night, 4-7 p.m. Monday at BCPL, Danville. All ages are invited to play a wide variety of board games. Food will be provided.
- T.A.C.O. Tuesday, 4 p.m. Tuesday at BCPL, Danville. Get involved with T.A.C.O. (Tween/Teen Advisory and Community Organization) to plan and prepare for library programs. Enjoy tacos, snacks, and activities. For ages 9-18.
- Teen Space: Mocktails, 4-7 p.m. Jan. 9 at BCPL, Danville. Play Nintendo Switch, eat pizza, and get creative. This month, we’ll be celebrating the Roaring Twenties with mocktail recipes.
- Preschool Storytime, 10:30 a.m. Jan. 10 at BCPL, Danville. Join us for stories, songs, rhymes and puppets at this monthly event. For children ages 3-5 years.
- Homeschool Storytime, 2 p.m. Jan. 10 at BCPL, Danville. Read the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. Register at the library to pick up a free book.
- Lunch with the Arts, noon-1 p.m. Jan. 15 at ACB, Danville. Featuring Chase Miller on clarinet. Info: www.artcenterky.org
- Crafters Who Care, 3-5 p.m. Mondays. Knit and crochet hats and scarves for those in need. No experience necessary.
- Zentangle and adult coloring, 10 a.m.-noon and 6-8 p.m. every third Thursday of the month at LCPL, Stanford. Create new Zentangle projects or relax with adult coloring. Registration required.
- Adult Storytime, 9 a.m. Mondays at BCPL, Danville. A weekly social hour and book club for individuals with and without disabilities to utilize the library and pursue common interests together.
- Boyle County Public Library Storytimes: *storytimes are off for the holiday but will resume Jan. 7 and 8. Toddler, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday; Preschool, 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays for children 3-5. Special monthly preschool storytime 10:30 a.m. Dec. 13 for ages 3-5.
- Garrard County Public Library Storytimes: 10 a.m. Wednesdays and 1 p.m. Thursdays. No storytime if special programs held at same time. Info: (859) 792-3424
- Lincoln County Public Library Storytimes: Toddler Tales, 10 a.m. Thursdays; Preschool, 11 a.m. Thursdays. Info: lcplinfo.org., (606) 365-7513
- Ceramic Creations by Jaque, 535 S. Fourth St., Danville. A paint-your-own pottery studio, open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Cost is $10 and up. Info: (859) 236-7288
- McDowell House Museum and Apothecary Shop, 125 S. Second St., Danville. A National Historic Landmark offering tours through Dr. Ephraim McDowell’s home. The Gift Shop at Constitution Square, 134 S. Second St., Danville, sells Kentucky-made items. Info: (859) 236-2804 for museum; 236-2803 for gift shop
- The Great American Dollhouse Museum, 344 Swope Dr., Danville. Hours are 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. Info: (859) 583-8000, thedollhousemuseum.com
- Little Paws Piano and Music Studio, 475 West Main St., Danville. Classes like Kindermusik; private instruction available. Info: (859) 319-1066
- Opening Act Studio, at Hometown Kids, 440 W. 4th St., Perryville. Theater and performance taught by Emma Steberl; limited scholarships available. Info: (859) 319-6821.
Events for this column must be submitted to the Advocate by noon on Monday to be in the Thursday newspaper.... read more