Boyle Chamber taking nominations for annual awards
The 2020 Boyle County Chamber of Commerce awards banquet will be “taking off to the future” at its 101st annual event in April.
Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Jeff Jewel said the awards banquet is still in the planning stages, but what has been confirmed is that it will be held at the Danville-Boyle County Airport at Stuart Powell Field on Friday, April 24.
“The chamber and the airport have worked together for years,” Jewell said. “We’re really excited” that for the first time, the annual banquet will be held at the airport, where “we’re taking off” into the next decade, or “taking off to the future.”
Jewell said the exact wording of the theme is still being tweaked, but it will involve flying and the future. “We’re having fun with it.”
The Chamber is now accepting nominations for the seven awards given annually to individuals and businesses that strongly contribute to this community, he said.
The deadline to nominate someone or a business for the awards is noon, Friday, Jan. 10. Nomination forms can be downloaded by going to the Chamber website at bit.ly/2ZNX2mJ, or the events page at danvilleboylechamber.com/events-page. Email nominations can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The awards include:
- Outstanding Citizen Award: presented to someone who has volunteered hundreds of hours to benefit their community. Volunteer times have generally involved interests and dedication in many areas, rather than being focused on just one area.
- Business Person of the Year: Presented to a person for their community service, civic leadership, personal character, peer respect and chamber involvement.
- Outstanding Business (large and small): Presented to a business for its growth, appearance, community service and chamber participation. Small businesses have less than 50 employees; large businesses have more than 50 employees.
- Community Impact Award: Given to an individual or organization that responds to a need and initiates actions that affect people in the community in significant or profound ways, and do not seek personal gain or notoriety.
- Outstanding Volunteer Award: Presented to someone for their dedication to community service to one or more organizations in the non-profit community.
- Legacy Award: Bestowed, only on occasion, to honor an individual whose life left an indelible mark on this community. This individual is widely known and recognized because of significant involvement in the leadership of the community and its many organizations.
- Historically Bold Award: This new award is presented to an individual, business or organization that works to make our community truly “Historically Bold.” These are people who work to preserve and celebrate our history as a community of civic leaders and true pioneers, as well as the people who move the community forward with their imagination and creativity to ensure it continues to lead, innovate and inspire.
(Editor’s note: Information was taken from articles in The Advocate Messenger.) A new $134,000 Naval Reserve Electronics Facility on the... read more