• 86°

From our files, Feb. 1, 2020

100 YEARS AGO — 1920

 

Mrs. Ellen McMinimy, 86, who had been in the millinery business in Harrodsburg for the past 54 years, in which she made a fortune, died Saturday night. She was born on the shores of Lake Killarney, Ireland, and came to American when she was a girl. Her husband, Thomas McMinimy, died last year, and she leaves behind a fine estate. Her maiden name was Hogan.

 

Permanent organization of the Boyle Post No. 46 of the American Legion was effected with about 60 men present at the first meeting. Sanders E. Clay was honored with election as the Post Commander. The Boyle Post now has 34 members but that is expected to swell to at least 300 or 400 members when the drive for new members is conducted. Charter members are Jon W. Bruce; Maurice Burton, Edward Guy Flaig, McElroy Anderson, Fred Owens, Frank McGraw, Richard Dunlap, Ernest Tymbanas, Frank Powell, Felix Adams, Vaughn Joplin, Edgar Bates, Thompson Crooks, Will Caldwell and Jas. Martin.

 

Mrs. R. M. Campbell, who lives on East Main Street, frightened a would-be thief out of her residence early this morning. When she heard an intruder trying to unlock the door to her bedroom after he had entered the house, she fired four shots from a revolver out of a window. The thief made a quick getaway. The police were notified but have no trace of the guilty party. This is the second time within the past month that an attempt has been made to rob Mrs. Campbell.

 

It has been suggested that pupils attending Parksville school should bring two eggs each week to be sold. The proceeds could go to the new school building fund. At the prevailing price of eggs, several dollars would soon be added to the school fund.

 

Miss Martha Darnaby, the new visiting nurse for Boyle County has arrived. Her office is in the Masonic Building where the Red Cross was formerly located. Boyle County has been badly in need of a visiting nurse. Now, with an excellent nurse and sufficient funds, this program of charity should progress rapidly.

 

75 YEARS AGO — 1945

 

Staff Sergeant Paul E. Russell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Russell of East Main Street in Danville, recently enjoyed a recess from aerial warfare at an Air Service Com. R. Center at an English seaside resort hotel, where American airmen who provide aerial cover for the advancing Allied armies in Germany may relax between missions. The American Red Cross and Air Service Command provided all of the “touches of home.” After seven days, Russell returned to his combat station, ready to play his part once again in the air battle supporting the Allied march across Germany. Russell has completed 25 missions over Nazi-dominated Europe. Before entering the Army, he was a sign painter with the Russell Sign Company in Danville.

 

The 45th birthday anniversary of the St. Asaph chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution  will be observed at the residence of Mrs. Allen Hieatt on East Lexington Avenue.

 

Boyle County men John W. Stigall and Pfc. Melvin Holmes found each other in a chow line in Belgium. According to Holmes’ family, Melvin had been in an army hospital in England for an appendectomy for some time before he was able to leave to make his way back to Germany. Enroute there, as he crossed Belgium, is when he met up with Stigall. The boys were temporarily assigned to work together in an orderly room in a barracks in the same little country.

 

Corporal Jackson A. Taylor, son of Mr. and Mrs. H. Morris Taylor of Grant Street, recently completed an orientation course designed to bridge the gap between training in the states and combat soldiering against the enemy in Germany. Taylor attended a series of lectures given by veterans which included instructions on chemical warfare defense and pertinent tips on staying healthy in a combat zone.

 

50 YEARS AGO — 1970

 

“The Brotherhoods,” a band composed of nine local teenagers, placed fourth in the Battle of the Bands contest held at the fairgrounds in Louisville. About 90 bands competed. The local band members are Allen Wilson, bass guitar; Jim Graham, lead guitar; Roy Bohon, drums; Barry Harmon, organ; Mark Birdseye, saxophone; Charles Easterly, trumpet; Billy Bandy, trombone; Ed Southworth, singer; David Robbins, singer; and Dennis Genung as band technician.

 

The Gregory Colonial Restaurant, located at the entrance of Begley Drugs, was advertising their Sunday menu. Items included: grilled ham steak with french fries, salad and drink for $1.60; roast beef with choice of two vegetables, salad, dessert, drink, roll, cornstick and butter, $1.60; southern fried chicken with choice of two vegetables, salad, dessert, drink, roll, cornstick and butter, $1.40; and The Colonial Platter with turkey breast, dressing and baked sugar cured ham, along with all of the previous sides, $2.

 

The Kentucky Non-Profit Housing Association Inc. was organized in Frankfort on Jan. 28 to promote the development of new housing in the low and moderate range. Membership in the organization is available to the individual members of the Family Services Association of Danville and Boyle County, which was formed Jan. 22 from the Family Welfare Association of Danville and Boyle County to coordinate and provide programs and services related to housing and neighborhood development here.

 

25 YEARS AGO — 1995

 

Many people who work during the day have been taking advantage of Eastern Kentucky University classes at night in Danville. The EKU extension center is located in the Danville Manor Shopping Center and currently offers 52 classes. An increase in enrollment was anticipated when EKU opened its new center in Jan. 1994. The school had been using Danville High School.

 

A new telephone exchange has been added to 236 and 238 in Danville to accommodate the expansion of Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center. The number to the hospital’s main switchboard is now 239-1000. the numbers 239-1000 through 239-6999 have been reserved for McDowell.

 

Peoples clothing store, which was for years called the Louisville Store, on Main Street is closing its doors on Saturday after being in Danville since the 1930s. Store manager Elizabeth Phillips said the closing was the decision of the owners, Shapiro Brothers, to phase out some of the stores in the Kentucky chain. Mike Perros and John Caywood, both members of the Downtown Business Committee said the closing was the topic of conversation at the group’s last meeting. Perros said the Downtown Business Committee wants to put together a plan to actively market vacant buildings in the central business district. Caywood, president of the Heart of Danville, said the marketing study now being done by Mark Waterhouse and Ted Levine for the city of Danville is expected to include a plan for marketing the community. That plan is supposed to be ready by July.