From our files, March 28, 2020

Published 5:58 pm Friday, March 27, 2020

100 YEARS AGO — 1920


A lengthy discussion of the dust and dirt on the principal streets in Danville took place during a Chamber of Commerce meeting. The Chamber voted to send a request to the City County asking that Main Street, between Second and Fifth streets, and some side streets, be cleared of the dirt and dust and flushed with water occasionally. The question of marking the streets was brought up and a committee was appointed to take the matter up with city council. It is claimed that only a few of the streets are marked with their names and Chamber members believe that a city of this size should have the names placed in a conspicuous place at every street corner.

Email newsletter signup


Junction City news: Ed Lunsford has sold his old Green Front storeroom to the new Sunshine Soap Powder Co, who have about completed selling their 100 shares of stock at $50 per share, with which they will soon start building a large plant in Junction City: The Junction City Sanitary Bottling Works will soon start up in the old Curiosity Shop on Lucas Street. The promoters are T.S. Isbell, Ray Carter and W.C. Silcox: The “Flying Parson,” Lieut. Belvin Maynard, flew over Junction City last Friday afternoon at about 2,000 feet at 120 miles per hour.


The noted Cecil will case has ended with a compromise between the trustees of the will and the heirs. Under the agreement, each one of the heirs, Mrs. Margaret Cecil Embry, Mrs. A.A. Anheier and Mr. J.G. Cecil, received $15,000 in cash and are annually to receive the total net income of the estate during their lives. The estate consists mainly of two valuable farms of over 1,400 acres. The Cecilian Park farm, lying on the outskirts of Danville, is to be sold at auction.


About 4,000 volumes from the Centre College library have been sold for $60.75. This is the price that the college received for the 4,860 pounds of books that were sold to a second hand dealer as “old paper.” In spite of the low price, it is higher than it has ever been before. All of the books were duplicates in the library’s collection and were removed to make room for newer works.


75 YEARS AGO — 1945


In a project of the Junior Red Cross, under the chairmanship of Mrs. J.D. Erskine of Boyle County, students at Broadway school brought in 43 dozen beautifully decorated hard-boiled Easter eggs, which will be delivered to Darnall General Hospital as gifts for the patients for Sunday morning breakfast.


Man O’War, the most famous horse in American turf history, turns 28 on March 29. In retirement at Samuel D. Riddle’s Faraway far near Lexington, the thoroughbred is turned loose in the paddock each morning and still has plenty of zip in those famous hooves.


Pfc. Arthur E. Cline, son of Mr. and Mrs. L.E. Cline of North Fourth Street in Danville, was one of two men from the area listed as wounded in action with the U.S. Army in the European arena. The second was T-Sergeant James A. Carrier, of Stanford. While hospitalized in France for a slight ankle wound, Cline was honored by a visit from General George Patton, his commanding officer.


Notice: Gus Myers has closed his restaurant, The Red Star Grill, for the summer. It will re-open the first of October. For the rest of the spring and summer Myers will be in charge of the Gwinn Island dining room.


Beginning tonight, certain city streets will be roped off on Monday and Friday nights for the benefit of skaters. Those who go to the skating locations on the nights that are permitted, must walk or ride to the sites and carry their skates, which they may not wear until they reach the roped off sections. Between 7 and 10 p.m. on Mondays and Fridays, white persons may skate on Walnut Street between College and Fifth streets. Colored persons may skate on Walnut Street between First and Second streets. Both areas will be made safe by being roped off with barriers set up and lights turned on.


50 YEARS AGO — 1970


A comprehensive transportation study of Danville is currently being conducted by the Kentucky Department of Highways Division. In addition to this study, the department is doing a corridor study of the possible four-lane widening of South Fourth Street fromMain to the intersection of the bypass.


Charles D. Britt has assumed his position as manager of Rose’s Department Store in the Danville Shopping Plaza on Hustonville Road. The store is set to open April 29. Britt, who has been with the Rose’s chain for eight years, made mention of the fact that he is in no way connected with Britt’s store in the same shopping center.


There were fewer deaths and more births in Boyle County during 1969 than in 1968 according to statistics released by the registrar at the Boyle County Health Department. Of the 628 births in the county, 364 were to Boyle residents and the other 264 were to non-residents. According to the report 343 people died in Boyle County as compared to 387 deaths the previous year.


About 130 ice cream chairs, 20 ice cream tables, two console television sets, a long antique cherry dining room table and eight to 10 cases of new restaurant dishes, still in boxes, were stolen sometime over the weekend from a building across the road from the Crossroads Restaurant on Stanford Road.


25 YEARS AGO — 1995


The Danville City Commission voted to notify the federal government it would like to begin negotiations for the acquisition of the Federal Building at the corner of Main and Fourth streets. The commission also approved a feasibility study covering everything from purchase price to potential uses of the building.


The community needs a regional park and a swimming pool and both should be built together in the same location to save money. These are the opinions of the large majority of respondents to a park and pool survey sent by Danville City Commission to households in the city.


Elaine Jacobus, who helped start Danville’s first kindergarten has died. Jacobus and her family had been in Danville a few years when she and other local parents started in 1956. They found a home for the school at the old Second Presbyterian Church at Third and Broadway. The kindergarten operated on a shoestring budget, with parents sawing their own lumber to make blocks for the children. Jacobus was the first kindergarten teacher and director from 1959 to 1976. She felt children needed a good transition between home and school.