Parks & Rec urges residents to visit parks’ trails; join free online exercise classes
The Danville-Boyle County Parks and Recreation department is adapting to the new normal of social distancing during the weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic. Even though park facilities such as playgrounds, ball fields, shelters and the Bunny Davis Center are closed, there are still opportunities for the public to get some exercise, according to Parks and Rec Director John Bell.
Millennium and other community parks “are not entirely closed. We’re trying to keep the trail aspects of the parks open.”
“We do want people to get outside and get some exercise,” Bell said. “But they must remain cognizant of the social distancing aspect.”
Bell said, “Every individual must take responsibility for their actions (social distancing of 6 to 8 feet apart) to keep the parks open.” He said the department does not want to close the parks completely, but may have to if people don’t adhere to the rules.
“That’s not what we want to do,” Bell said.
Parks and Rec has also designed free daily online fitness classes for those who want to workout in a group setting. Bell said the classes will be held via Zoom meeting. The schedule is:
- Monday Piyo, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday Strong, 6 p.m.
- Wednesday Piyo, 6 p.m.
- Thursday Strong, 6 p.m.
- Saturday Piyo, 10 a.m.
Sunday Strong, 3 p.m.
Classes are free to join but must have a specific ID for each daily class.
Join Zoom Meeting > https://zoom.us/j/3576969114 and the meeting ID number is 357-696-9114
Bell said his department is also planning on having T-ball, softball and baseball teams this summer. “We don’t know when they will start,” Bell said. But his staff has schedules in place that begin one month after the Centers for Disease Control gives “the all clear.” So if the current bans and restrictions are lifted by May 1, then games could begin June 1, he said.
To register or to find out more information about Parks and Rec programing visit their website at www.danvilleboylecoparks.com
According to Bell:
- All parks and trails will remain open, although all restroom facilities will be closed. The gates at Millennium Park are locked but people may park on Cunningham Way or at the fairgrounds and walk through the pedestrian entrances to use the trails.
- All playgrounds at Millennium Park and community parks are closed.
- The Millennium Park basketball courts, skate park, shelters and dog park are closed.
- All programs, activities, events, and rentals (regardless of size) scheduled for Millennium Park and Bunny Davis Center are canceled through at least April 30.
- The Bunny Davis Fitness Center will remain closed until at least April 30.