Shaker Village September happenings
Published 10:12 am Thursday, September 2, 2021
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is ready to kickoff a month of special events and programming in September. As the season changes over, the village transforms into a festive fall escape with pumpkins and fodder shocks lining the historic turnpike. Those looking to experience fall fun can plan to head out to Shaker Village every weekend in September.
Celebrate the Season
• Hayrides – Hop on a hayride and discover how the Shakers’ beliefs defined their community. Every Friday and Saturday, September-October at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are $5 for ages 6 and up and free for children under 5.
• Riverboat Rides – Cruise along the Kentucky River on a one-hour narrated tour describing the historical importance of the river to the Shakers. Rides depart at 2 and 4 p.m. every Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday, and 2, 4 and 6 p.m. every Friday and Saturday through October. Tickets are $10 for ages 13 and up, $5 for ages six 12 and free for children under 5.
• Spirit Strolls – A guided lantern lit stroll to the 1811 Shaker Cemetery. Along the way, you’ll learn about some of Pleasant Hill’s darker moments and learn about the burial traditions of this now departed community. Every Friday and Saturday, September through October at 5:30 and 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 for annual passholders and $10 for non-annual passholders.
• Harvest Fest – A weekend of all things fall! Enjoy sorghum processing, apple pressing, pumpkin painting, hayrides, pony rides, hay maze, demonstrations and farm animals. Shop the harvest market, check out the live music and grab something from the food trucks and outdoor bar. Sept. 25-26 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. sponsored by Foundation Risk Partners. Admission ranges from free-$14.
Music at Shaker Village
• Community Sing – Join us for the third annual Community Sing event and experience the Meeting House as the Shakers would have, through song. Music including Shaker hymns, traditional gospel, folk and other styles will be included in the session. Saturday, Sept. 11 from 11 a.m.-noon. Admission fees are waived, but donations will be accepted.
• Kentucky Heritage Jazz Festival – In partnership with the Fort Harrod Jazz Festival enjoy world-class jazz performances in the iconic setting of Shaker Village. Food trucks and an outdoor barn will be on-site. Saturday, Sept. 18 from noon-10 p.m., and Sunday, Sept. 19 from noon-6 p.m. Through the generous sponsorship of Family Wealth Group, admission is free to all visitors.
• Music on the Lawn – Join us on The Trustees’ Lawn every Friday and Saturday evening from 5:30-8:30 p.m., September-October. Grab a drink from the outdoor bar, gather around the fire pit and settle in for an outdoor concert from local and regional musicians. Admission is free.
A Taste of the Harvest
• Hard Cider Bash – This toasty bash is part of the Fresh Food Adventure series and includes a sampling of orchard flavors. Enjoy good food, new friends, live music and plenty of craft hard cider in the Meadowview Barn. Saturday, Sept. 11 at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are available for $89.
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill in Harrodsburg is located just 40 minutes away from Lexington, and 80 minutes outside of Louisville. To plan your visit to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, or to learn more, visit shakervillageky.org or call 859.734.5411.
ABOUT SHAKER VILLAGE OF PLEASANT HILL
Named a top hidden travel destination by BBC News and awarded TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is a landmark destination that shares 3,000 acres of discovery in the spirit of the Kentucky Shakers. With 34 original Shaker structures, the site is home to the country’s largest private collection of original 19th century buildings and is the largest National Historic Landmark in Kentucky. Onsite services at Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill include overnight accommodations, dining, beverage and catering services, three craft shops, exhibitions in historic buildings, a farm and garden area, riverboat and 1,000 acres of restored native prairie. For more information, please visit shakervillageky.org.