Three locals reach second round of state tennis tourney
Published 7:30 am Thursday, June 2, 2022
Matthew Da Costa of Boyle County won a first-round boys singles match Tuesday at the KHSAA State Tennis Tournament before losing in the second round.
Sara Dunn of Mercer County and Malory Watkins of Garrard County won first-round matches in girls singles in the tournament at Lexington and Nicholasville.
Da Costa defeated Jackson Baird of Spencer County in straight sets before falling to No. 2 seed Brady Hussey of Covington Catholic.
Email newsletter signup
Dunn defeated Honor Valentine of Highlands in straight sets, then lost to No. 5-8 seed Greer Webb of Sayre. Watkins didn’t drop a game in her win over Kendall Warren of Henderson County, and she lost to No. 9-16 seed Sophie Hollowell of McCracken County.
Other Boyle County players in the tournament were paired against seeded opponents and bowed out in the first round.
Edie Clark and Maggie Cerqueira, the 12th Region girls doubles champions, lost to No. 1 seeds Haley Klein and Laurel Slechter of Oldham County.
Regional girls doubles runners-up Sammy Cusato and Maya Smith lost to the No. 3-seeded team, and Jaina Burkett lost to the No. 2 seed in girls singles.
KHSAA State Tennis Tournament
Tuesday (Seeds in parentheses)
At Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex, Lexington
First Round: Matthew Da Costa (Boyle County) def. Jackson Baird (Spencer County) 7-5, 6-1.
Second Round: Brady Hussey (2; Covington Catholic) def. Matthew Da Costa (Boyle County) 6-0, 6-1.
At Top Seed Tennis Club, Nicholasville
• Sara Dunn (Mercer County) def. Honor Valentine (Highlands) 6-4, 7-5.
• Malory Watkins (Garrard County) def. Kendall Warren (Henderson County) 6-0, 6-0.
• Ellie Hammond (2; Sacred Heart) def. Jaina Burkett (Boyle County) 6-0, 6-0.
• Greer Webb (5-8; Sayre) def. Sara Dunn (Mercer County) 6-2, 6-3.
• Sophie Hollowell (9-16; McCracken County) def. Malory Watkins (Garrard County) 6-1, 6-0.
• Haley Klein-Laurel Slechter (1; Oldham County) def. Edie Clark-Maggie Cerqueira (Boyle County) 6-0, 6-1.
• Caroline Elliott-Avery Voss (3; Sacred Heart) def. Sammy Cusato-Maya Smith (Boyle County) 6-0, 6-0.