City Commission approves baby drop-off ordinance
Published 2:06 pm Monday, June 26, 2023
BY LANCE GAITHER
During the Danville City Commission meeting on June 12, the commission approved an ordinance for the installation of a Safe Haven Baby Box. The Baby Box will be attached to Danville Fire Station 2 and allows someone who is unable to care for a child to surrender custody anonymously and safely. The box is monitored for 24 hours, 365 days a year, and is temperature controlled.
Email newsletter signup
“We are very excited about this,” said Danville Fire Chief Doug Simpson. “It was given to us by an anonymous donor. It is not only a win for Danville but for the entire central Kentucky region.”
In other news from the meeting, the commission has approved the following ordinances, zoning changes, and appointments.
• The second reading of an Ordinance 2011 which will require new commercial structures to have key lock boxes installed. This is to allow emergency personnel easy access to the building increase of an emergency after hours.
• The first reading of an Ordinance 2014 to amend the museum budget from $28,776 to $598,000. This is due to an unexpected purchase of the Old Federal building along with HVAC repairs. The parking budget was originally $597,321 and changed to $647,000 to account for repairs done to the parking garage. The general fund will provide the money for these changes.
• The first reading of Ordinance 2015 which will require citizens to have a permit to work in city right-of-ways on their property
• A total of 2.42 acres at 60 Westridge Drive will be rezoned from an industrial development district to a light industrial district to allow the construction of new retail businesses.
• A total of 12.606 acres at 0 Baughman Avenue will be zoned as R-1c which will allow 58 new residential buildings to be built.
• A total of 0.23 acres at 496 and 498 Dillehay Street will be zoned as commercial central business district.
• Mark Morgan has been reappointed to the Parks and Recreation Committee.
• Terry Crowley has been appointed to the Economic Development Authority.