Danville holding 4th of July celebration at Millennium Park
Published 1:51 pm Monday, June 26, 2023
BY LANCE GAITHER
Danville is hosting its July 4th celebration at Millennium Park. The celebration kicks off at 5:30 p.m. with food trucks, a corn hole tournament and bounce houses. The first ever Old Glory Twilight Run will begin at 8:30 p.m. Fireworks begin at dusk.
Email newsletter signup
“This will be our first time doing a run for the Fourth,” said Parks and Rec Recreation Supervisor Amber Shartzer. “We wanted to tap into the runners in the community and bring them in. We will have a 5K race and a 2K. We want this to be something we make an annual event.”
The corn hole tournament is for two-person teams with a $50 entry fee.
Those who wish to participate in the Old Glory Twilight Run must register at https://runsignup.com/Race/KY/Danville/OldGloryTwilightRun.
With many people having their own celebrations at home, it is important to remember to practice firework safety. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reports a 25 percent rise in firework-related injuries between 2006 and 2021, with 74 percent of those injuries occurring in the weeks before and after July 4th.
The USCPSC offers a host of tips for celebrating safely on July 4th.
• When using fireworks, always keep a bucket of water or hose nearby in case of a fire.
• Only light fireworks one at a time.
• Never try to re-light or handle fireworks that did not fully ignite.
• Children should never be allowed to handle fireworks.
• Never use fireworks while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.