From our Files

Published 10:41 am Wednesday, July 5, 2023

100 YEARS AGO — 1923

• The State Highway Commission along with representatives of Boyle and Garrard counties and Dix River Power Company  discussed relocating a portion of Danville and Lexington turnpike where it crossed Dix River where it  crossed the river between Boyle and Garrard counties and building a new bridge over the river.

• Work on the Coco Cola bottling plant at First and Broadway was progressing and expected to hire about 40 employees.

Email newsletter signup

• Centenary United Methodist Church got a fresh coat of paint  and redecorating and new floor covering. Sunday services were held in Boyle Circuit Courtroom while  work was being done.

• Louisville and Nashville Railroad offered round trip tickets from Junction City to Crab Orchard for $1.20; Mammoth cave, $10.20; and Diamond Springs, $11.25 during the summer months.

75 YEARS AGO — 1948

• Dr. Maurice F. Seay, former principal of Danville High School, accepted an invitation to become a member of a small panel of United States educational experts who advised the United Nations Scientific and Cultural Organization to carry out its program of fundamental education.

• J.B. Stith was installed as president of the Danville Rotary Club during a program at Danville Country Club. He succeeded A.F. Young, principal at Danville High School.

• A 50-year-old water well, in which the walls fell in, has been rebuilt to benefit five families of the Faith Chapel community which would have been without a water supply.  Mrs. L.M.Omer, minister of Faith Chapel, helped pay for the labor to make the repairs.

• The Hub Pushin Co. department store advertised its genuine and mohair men’s summer suits were on sale for $11.45, and men’s trousers were selling for $3.95 and $4.45.

50 YEARS AGO — 1973

• Wilderness Road Amateur Radio Club held a field day at Perryville Battlefield  and participated in a national exercise of communicating all over the U.S. and Canada.

• Four firemen were promoted by the Danville City Commission: James Downey was promoted to first assistant chief, Delbert Allen was promoted and moved from the south end station, and made assistant chief; Russell Phillips was named senior captain; and Eddie Lawson, captain.

• Danville spent $61,707 of the $243, 928 it received in federal revenue sharing funds and invested the remainder.

• Inmates at Northpoint Training Center and all state prisons will get new clothing under a new systemwide dress code. They changed to Khaki shirts, pants, belts and coats replacing jeans and T-shirts.

25 YEARS AGO  — 1998

• Temperatures rose to the 90s and people were headed to stores to get air conditioners and large swimming pools, but some were already sold out.

• Julie Erwin, guidance counselor at Toliver Elementary School, was named principal at Hogsett Elementary. She replaced Richard Webb, who left for another position.

• “A Little Murder Never Hurt Anybody” was featured at       Pioneer Playhouse.

• Five Boyle County students earned academic excellence scholarships from the University of Kentucky including   presidential scholarship, Marjorie June Hoffman, Danville High School. Bluegrass scholarships went to: Adam Lewis Bryant, Kelly N. Cummings, and William Scott, all Boyle County High; and Regan K. Collier, Danville High.