From our files
Published 10:33 am Friday, August 25, 2023
100 YEARS AGO — 1923
• Senator A.O. Stanley spent the day in Danville learning more about the proposed highway from Danville to the Cumberland River. He also endorsed the project through Casey, Russell and Clinton counties.
• The local Chamber of Commerce and Boyle County Farm Bureau set dates for Danville’s Style Show and Exposition for Oct. 4-6. Dr. James T. Ware had charge of booth space for the exhibits for farm, garden and kitchen products, poultry show along with home canned goods and needlework.
Email newsletter signup
• It was Danville Day at the Liberty Fair for the local Chamber of Commerce members who filled 25 automobiles accompanied by the Danville Military Band. They left the Elks Club for the all-day event with stops in communities along the way. The group spent the day at the fair and traveled to Crab Orchard Springs to have supper and spend the night.
75 YEARS AGO —1948
• James M. Norvell, president of Danville Motors, South Fourth Street, was recognized as one of the first Ford dealers in the United States to be named a “four letter” dealer. Norvell received top rating for superior ratings in facilities, management, competitive spirit and finances.
• Five local cab companies raised the cab-fare due to higher costs of operation. Fees charged were 40 cents for two passengers each additional passenger 10 cents within the city limits. Trips to nearby subdivisions the cost was 10 cents more. Out of town trips cost 30 cents per mile.
• The bodies of four area men, including Pfc. Forest Steinhauer, formerly of Danville, who died during World War II aboard the USAT Lawrence Victory ship, were returned home for burial.
• Open house was held at Whitehouse-Humphrey car dealership on East Main Street. Marshall Whitehouse and Pat Humphrey were owners. Several new Dodge and Plymouth vehicles were on display.
• The Danville tennis team romped over a Tennis Club in Frankfort as it captured seven matches of the nine played on Centre College courts.
50 YEARS AGO — 1973
• Work began on a new concrete floor of the viaduct over Southern Railway. Workmen with All Points Construction Co., Lexington, poured cement on the bridge deck.
• It was back to school for students in the Boyle County School District. The students got a half day off on the first day. Supt. Roy R. Camic said everything “went real good” on opening day for the 2,229 students enrolled.
• Martha Lee of Danville joined the staff of Campus Crusade International Christian movement of student and laymen united to help change the world of this generation by introducing others to the message of Jesus Christ.
• Twenty-five new teachers and an administrator attended orientation at Danville High School before the fall semester began. Registration showed 2,446 pupils registered for classes and more were expected to register before school began.
• Perryville began taking requests for space in the town’s first municipal housing units, Coyle Manor, with 20 units of various sizes. The project was named after Arthur B. Coyle, former mayor of the city for many years.
25 YEARS AGO — 1998
• No one was injured when a fire swept through a mobile home in Imperial Trailer Park. Owner Earl Walls was away from the house when firefighters arrived. Damages were confined to the great room.
• Bob Allen, owner of Bob Allen Motor Mall, made plans to purchase the Wade Motor Oldsmobile dealership on Maple Avenue, owned by Doug Petrie.
• Junction City set the tax rate of 19.60 cents per $100 of property value. It was 21cents lower than the previous rate.
• Centre College was named one of the nation’s 50 best liberal arts colleges by the U.S. News & World Report magazine.
• Danville was named the new headquarters for a statewide voter education project, a private, non-profit, non-partisan group. One of its goals was to get more people interested in voting.
• Perryville Enhancement Project checked out firms to get proposals to design its museum to tell the story of the Oct. 8, 1862, battle.