Shaker Village announces fall events, exhibit opening, music
Published 5:24 pm Wednesday, August 30, 2023
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is ready to kick off a new season of special events and programming. As fall rolls in the Village transforms into a festive autumn escape with pumpkins and fodder shocks lining the historic turnpike. Those looking to experience fall fun can plan to head out to the Village every weekend in September.
Celebrate the Season
• Hay Wagon Rides – Hop on a hayride and discover how the Shakers’ beliefs defined their community. Every Friday and Saturday, September-October at 6:00 p.m. Tickets are $5 for ages six and up and free for children under five.
Email newsletter signup
• Spirit Strolls – Take a guided lantern lit stroll to the 1811 Shaker Cemetery. Along the way you’ll learn about some of Pleasant Hill’s darker moments, and learn about the burial traditions of this now departed community. Every Friday and Saturday, September-October at 5:30 and 7:00 p.m. Tickets are $10 for Annual Passholders and $15 for Non-Annual Passholders.
• Harvest Fest – A weekend of all things fall. Enjoy sorghum processing, apple pressing, pumpkin painting, hayrides, pony rides, demonstrations and farm animals. Shop the harvest market, check out live music and grab something from the food trucks and outdoor bar. September 24-25 from 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. sponsored by Lexington Clinic and Mercer County Tourism. Admission ranges from free-$16.
• The Believers Grand Opening – A new permanent exhibit will open in the 1820 Meeting House on Friday, September 22 with a reception and guided tours. The Believers explores the theology and worship practices of the Shakers taking a deep dive into Shaker music, architecture and how the faith was manifested through art. Tickets to the opening event are available online for $15.
Music at Shaker Village
• Community Sing – Join us for the sixth annual Community Sing event and experience the Meeting House as the Shakers would have, through song. Music including Shaker hymns, traditional gospel and folk will be included in the session. Come out on Saturday, September 9 from 10:30 a.m.-Noon. Admission fees are waived, but donations will be accepted.
• Kentucky Heritage Jazz Festival – Enjoy world-class jazz performances in the iconic setting of Shaker Village. Bring a lawn chair and check out exhibits, guided tours, food trucks and an outdoor bar. Saturday, September 16 from noon-10:00 p.m., and Sunday, September 17 from Noon-6:00 p.m. Through the generous sponsorship of Family Wealth Group, admission is free to all visitors.
• Music on the Lawn – The Trustees’ Lawn is the place to be every Friday and Saturday evening from 5:30-8:30 p.m., September-October. Grab a drink from the outdoor bar, gather around the fire pit and settle in for an outdoor concert from local and regional musicians. Admission is free.
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is located in Harrodsburg. To plan your visit to Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, or to learn more, visit shakervillageky.org or call 859.734.5411.