Taking a look back through the past 100 years in Boyle County
Published 4:57 pm Wednesday, September 6, 2023
A snapshot of headlines spanning the past century in Danville and Boyle County.
100 YEARS AGO —1923
• Tobacco growers who are members of the Burley tobacco Growers’ Cooperative Association planned to nominate candidates for delegates to the district convention for a special election.
Email newsletter signup
• A Health Conference and Baby Clinic held at the local fairground was a great success when Dr. Jenkins of Louisville examined scores of babies. He was assisted by Boyle County health nurse.
• A two-story house known as the J. Harmon house on Hustonville Pike sold to I.S. McDonald and his wife for $2,900. B.G. Fox was the realtor.
• R.M. Arnold, a local buggy builder and garage man, offered bargain prices on covering old automobile tops.
• The Centennial Reunion was held for graduates and students at Kentucky School for the Deaf. Visitors attended a reception and enjoyed a field day and dance.
75 YEARS AGO — 1948
• Perryville residents contributed $3,700 to finance well-drilling projects in the city. Two places where drilling began had to be shut down due to the lack of water and where gas pockets were hit.
• The Rev. Edgar C. Newlin was named rector of Trinity Episcopal Church. He replaced William P. Barrett.
• A horse, mule and dog were killed by an Louisville and Nashville train in the Brumfield – Mitchellsburg area. A horse owned by J.B. Caldwell and a work mule owned by Sam Glasscock, both of Brumfield, apparently strayed out of property and were killed; and Shepherd watch dog, owned by Nannie Broyles, was killed in the same spot.
• Local schools expected to enroll 4,100 students for the fall term, including city and county public schools, new Catholic school, Kentucky School for the Deaf, and Centre College.
50 YEARS AGO — 1973
• Danville Housing Authority received approval from HUD for a proposed 65-unit high rise for the elderly on Kerr Street. The high rise was part of the neighborhood development by Urban Renewal.
• Boyle Fiscal Court discussed construction of office facilities in the county workhouse to find out if it was cheaper to remodel the building or build a new facility.
• Records prior to 1922 in Boyle County Circuit Clerk Lucille Bruce’s office were taken to the Division of Archives and Records, Department of Finance in Frankfort.
• J. H. Bugg of Junction City was named new manager of Goodall Field on Airport Road. His duties were operation of the gas concession, Unicom system and maintenance of the facility.
• Approaches to the new Camp Nelson bridge over the Kentucky River on U.S. 27 were nearly complete. The bridge was expected to be completed by spring.
25 YEARS AGO – 1998
• Danville set a tax rate of 14.80 cents per $100 worth of property. It was lower than 1997 and was scheduled to bring in more money than last year.
• Danville-Boyle County Planning and Zoning Commission began work on new zoning districts for the county.
• Ephraim McDowell Health of Danville and Dr. Phil Aaron of Aaron Medical Centre of Columbia, formed a partnership.
• Fire in four houses in the Hustonville Road area within a half mile of each other were investigated as arson. No one was injured in the fires on Jean Drive, Erskine Drive, and two on Lincoln Avenue.