From our files

Published 3:43 pm Monday, September 11, 2023

100 YEARS AGO  — 1923

• Most of the booths were taken for the October Danville exposition at the Walnut Street tobacco warehouse. The local Chamber of Commerce and Boyle County Farm Bureau were sponsors.

• More than 300 delegates from all over the United States attended the alumni reunion at Kentucky School for the Deaf.

Email newsletter signup

• Centre College Professor J.H. Biles and family attended a county fair in Pennsylvania. While on the trip to his home state, they stopped at the fair where he picked a lucky number in a contest  and came home with a new Studebaker automobile. It cost a $1 for the ticket.

• John P. Clarkson of the Rolling Fork community brought his champion watermelon to the public market. The melon weighed forty-one and half pounds. He had another at the farm that he expected to weigh 50 pounds when it was ripe.

• First Baptist Church of Danville made plans to celebrate its 100th  anniversary.

75 YEARS AGO —1948

• A 1929 Buick, owned by E.O. Miller, former general foreman in the Danville Southern Railroad Shops, was rescued from the Emory River near Oakdale, Tennessee. The car had been in the river 20 years since the 1928 flood and was found in good condition.

• Boyle County Tuberculosis Association was organized with eight members to find, arrest, alleviate or assist in any manner of all cases of  tuberculosis and help uncover deceit of keeping the disease hidden from the public. E.P. Faulconer Jr. was chairman.

• An editorial implied the state government was guilty of willful negligence of the most disgraceful degree if it permitted the Kentucky State Hospital to  operate even for a little while under present hardships. The state set a budget of 97 cents per day for each patient. The budget was to be $390,285, in contrast to $697,185 the previous year.

• More than 42,000 students were expected to enroll for the fall semester in Danville and Boyle County schools, including the new parochial school, and Kentucky School for the Deaf, and Centre College.

50 YEARS AGO — 1973

• Centre College’s new $5 million Regional Arts Center prepared to open  with the Kentucky Opera Associations’ Premiere of  Verdi’s   

• “Otello”, and an exhibition of 26 paintings from the Guggenheim Museum in New York.

• More than a 1,000 delegates were expected to attend the 54th General Assembly of the Church of God  at the  Church of God on Green Street. The Rev. A.R. Smith was host pastor.

• A goal of $79,000 for 13 participating agencies was set for the United Community Fund drive.

• Local residents began getting their tax bills. Bills totaling $1,763,866 were placed in the mail by the sheriff’s department and books were open in the courthouse for paying the bills.

• Grand opening was set in October for the new Heck’s Inc.  Discount Store on Hustonville Road.

25 YEARS AGO — 1998

• Open house was held to give the public a chance to see the new $5.3-million Boyle County Government Services Center on the bypass. The center included a 181-bed jail, recycling center, Road Department garage and Emergency Medical Services headquarters.

• Gov. Paul Patton, who was in town for the jail open house, also  presented an $800,000 check for Perryville projects related to the Perryville Battlefield.

• Kristie Boling, 17, prepares to join her male teammates on the gridiron at Kentucky School for the Deaf. She was one of a few females playing high school football in Kentucky.

• Farmers National Bank opened a new branch on Daniel Drive and Southtown Drive. It offered customers full service assistance.

• Centre College showed an increase of 51 more students registered for classes than the year before. There were 295 students enrolled in the freshmen class.