Boyle County woman pleads guilty to Medicaid fraud
An investigation and prosecution by the Kentucky Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Unit led to a guilty plea of a Boyle County woman for defrauding the Kentucky Medical Assistance Program, also known as Medicaid.
Attorney General Daniel Cameron announced Monday that Amber Turner, 36, of Danville, appeared at Boyle County Circuit Court last week, and entered a guilty plea to the charge of devising or engaging in a scheme to defraud the Kentucky Medical Assistance program of $300 or more, a Class D Felony. She will be placed on a five-year period of pretrial diversion, but still faces up to a five-year prison sentence if she does not successfully complete the period of diversion.
As part of the plea agreement, Turner was also ordered to pay restitution to the Kentucky Medical Assistance Program in the amount of $200,000.
The Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Unit investigated the case. David R. Startsman, an attorney with the Medicaid Fraud Unit, prosecuted the case on behalf of the Commonwealth. If you wish to file a Medicaid fraud or abuse complaint, go to ag.ky.gov/MedicaidFraud or call the Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Hotline at 1-877-ABUSE-TIP, or 1-877-228-7384.
The Kentucky Attorney General’s Office of Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Control receives 75% of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award of $6,333,333 for Federal fiscal year 2023. The remaining 25%, totaling $1,583,333 for FY 2023, is funded by the state.