Stanford man not on the run

Published 9:01 am Saturday, October 7, 2017

Editor’s note: A story ran on Thursday stating that McClure had failed to appear and had forfeited his bond. He did appear that afternoon in court, due to a mix up. 

A warrant that was initially issued for Austin McClure, 22, of Stanford on Tuesday morning in Boyle County Circuit Court was recalled later that day.

It was reported in Thursday’s edition of The Advocate-Messenger that a warrant had been issued for McClure’s arrest during the morning session. In an email Ephraim Helton, McClure’s attorney, it was clarified that there was a mix up in the bond papers given to McClure.

Email newsletter signup

“He appeared in court Tuesday afternoon and entered a plea of not guilty,” Helton said. “He is not on the run and has never been on the run. There was simply a misunderstanding.”

McClure was arraigned on eight counts: two counts of unlawful imprisonment, three counts of wanton endangerment and first-degree fleeing or evading police in a vehicle.

According to online court dockets, McClure was scheduled for court on Tuesday morning. When he failed to appear at that session, Judge Darren Peckler issued a warrant for his arrest and to forfeit his bond.

Helton said the bond was not forfeited, as McClure did appear when his paperwork said to.

McClure remains out on bond.

McClure’s initial arrest

McClure’s charges stem from an early morning incident on July 12, which began in Boyle County and led to a high-speed pursuit into Lincoln County.

According to archives of The Advocate-Messenger, K9 Deputy Casey McCoy attempted to stop McClure, who was driving a black Crown Victoria, after observing him leave the parking lot area near Walmart onto U.S. 127 south. McCoy said the car didn’t have a license plate.

He pursued the car south, and said they reached speeds of over 120 miles an hour before hitting the Lincoln County line. McClure was also driving in the oncoming lane on more than one occasion and drove with his lights turned out at one time, according to police. He slowed, turned on his flashers and turned left at the intersection with Ky. 78, heading through Hustonville.

Lincoln County deputies had been sent to the area, and were joined by Kentucky State Police troopers.

A spike strip was placed on the road, but McClure attempted to avoid it, almost hitting a Lincoln County deputy. Three of McClure’s tires were impacted and he drove about 200-300 more feet before crashing into a fence and landing the car in a creek. There were two passengers in McClure’s car who surrendered to police, while he took off, disappearing into the night.

According to files obtained from the Boyle County Clerk’s Office, the passengers, Larry Sower and Brian Bourne, told police they asked McClure to stop on more than one occasion.

Sower told police, “When (McCoy’s) lights turned on, McClure stated, ‘I don’t have insurance, I’m going to run,’” and that he told McClure to stop “over 20 times.”

That same warrant states that Bourne “advised he pled for McClure to stop, which he refused to do.”

McClure was later arrested and lodged in the Boyle County Detention Center from July 26 to Aug. 4, when he was released after paying 20 percent of a $10,000 cash bond earlier in August. He was required to undergo regular drug screenings as part of his agreement. 

According to files in the Boyle County Circuit Clerk’s office, he tested positive for amphetamines on Aug. 25.