Ephraim McDowell Health to offer free colon cancer screening kits in March
Published 5:45 pm Wednesday, March 16, 2022
Ephraim McDowell Health will offer free, take-home colon cancer screening kits in March, which is observed as National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. The screening kits are available for anyone over the age of 45 who has not had a screening in the last 12 months.
Colon cancer is a preventable disease, but it is the third leading cancer killer in the United States. It doesn’t have to be! Nine out of 10 colon cancer cases may be prevented or cured with regular screenings.
Ephraim McDowell Health Community Services, with the support of the Ephraim McDowell Health Care Foundation, is working to raise awareness that regular screenings can detect cancer in its early stages, when it is the most treatable. While a colonoscopy and/or sigmoidoscopy is the most accurate way to diagnose colon cancer, regular screening of the feces (stool) may indicate further need for diagnostic testing.
Email newsletter signup
The kits may be picked up between March 21 and April 8 at any of the following locations during normal business hours. Supplies are limited.
- Ephraim McDowell Regional Medical Center information desks (Third Street & South
- McDowell Wellness Center
- Ephraim McDowell Commonwealth Cancer Center
- Centenary United Methodist Church
- Ephraim McDowell James B. Haggin Hospital (Main information desk & ER desk)
- North Garrard Family Medical Center
- Ephraim McDowell Liberty Family Medical Center
- Ephraim McDowell Springfield Family Medical Center
- Ephraim McDowell Fort Logan Hospital information desk
- PBK Bank