From our Files

Published 2:30 pm Thursday, May 2, 2024

100 YEARS  AG0 —  1924

  • Walter S. Dunn, son of Col I.M. Dunn of Danville, a widely known auctioneer, contracted with the Wilson, North Carolina Leaf Tobacco Warehouse as auctioneer for the season.
  • The W. L. Lyons & Company opened a brokerage office in Danville. Earl Browning was in charge.
  • William Tremer of Wilmore was named manager of the Danville Stock Yards Company which opened in May.
  • An auction of 16 lots on Caldwell, Proctor, and Cecil streets was scheduled.
  • Baugh & Garner Furniture House received a large shipment of household furniture, rugs, kitchen appliances, and cabinets.
  • Yearly subscription rates for the Danville Daily Messenger were $3 for carrier delivery in town; and $2 for mail delivery in Danville and Boyle County.


75 YEARS  AG0 — 1949

  • Danville was fortunate to have an area to develop a park, playground, and recreation area on Sixth Street. The city owned six acres of land and an additional 78 acres were purchased for $26,300 for the proposed park.
  • Community Holy Week services were held in Danville churches, and churches in the county held Easter sunrise services. Danville High School students sold Easter lilies for the benefit of the Crippled Children Fund, and the First Christian Church youth held a candlelight service.
  • Remodeling work on the Kemper Funeral Home in a two-story building on West Main Street was progressing, with J. Vernon Kemper as the owner.
  • Centre College was listed as among the “50 good, small” colleges in the United States, according to an article in the Good Housekeeping magazine.

Email newsletter signup


50 YEARS  AG0 —  1974

  • Boyle County had 3,100 manufacturing jobs in 1972 with a total payroll of $21,800,000. It was an increase since the census of 1967 when the total of jobs was 2,200.
  • County Clerk John B. Nichols made preparations for the local option vote to take place in Danville. He estimated that about 600 names would be needed on a petition to get the question on the ballet.
  • Boyle County Fire Protection District Fire Chief John E. Hood said additional personal equipment and a new fire truck were on order for the six companies in the district.
  • Guests from 20 towns attended the first public opening of Elmwood Inn in Perryville. They enjoyed southern type cooking and a party. The Inn was open for lunch and dinner.
  • Twenty applicants applied for assistance at a disaster service center at the Boyle County Courthouse after three tornadoes swept through Boyle County.



25 YEARS  AG0 —  1999

  • A Navy destroyer was commissioned to honor Marine Lt. Col. William “Rich” Higgins, born in Danville. Higgins had been murdered in Lebanon while on a peacekeeping mission with the United Nations in 1989.
  • Deputies at the Boyle County Detention Center got 50-cent an-hour increases in salary.
  • John Roush was installed as Centre College’s 20th president. Before he came to Danville, Roush was vice president for planning and executive assistant to the president at the University of Richmond.
  • Danville Manor Animal Hospital moved from Hustonville Road to the South Danville Bypass and changed the facility’s name to Animal Medical Center.
  • Dairy farmers faced a 30-percent drop in prices. The farmer who milked cows for a living got $6 less per hundred pounds of milk, down from $19 or $20 the month before to $13 to 14 per cwt (hundredweight).